- Du är här:
- Institutionen för Asien-, Mellanöstern- och Turkietstudier
- First Swedish screening of documentary about the great east Japan earthquake
First Swedish screening of documentary about the great east Japan earthquake
In March, Rin Watanabe, who experienced the Great East Japan Earthquake 6 years ago, organized a film screening event in cooperation with the department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkish Studies at Stockholm University.
On March 11, 2011, the biggest earthquake and tsunami in Japanese history devastated the city leaving 3,943 people dead or missing. Rin Watanabe's documentary is about what happened in Ishinomaki, a city with a population of about 170,000 in Miyagi Prefecture, located on the Pacific coast in northeast Japan. It was filmed about five months after the disaster at an elementary school which was hit by the tsunami. To understand what happened during and after the earthquake, 37 people – students, teachers, parents and local residents were interviewed.
“Living Through March 11, 2011 – Words That Remember The Great East Japan Earthquake” has been screened in several countries all over the world and this was the first time it was shown in Sweden.
Student voices about the film:
“A very informative and emotionally strong documentary. (…) …to keep on remembering this horrible and devastating event is very important I think.”
“This is the kind of story one doesn’t hear about on the news, and it really helped making the distance between Sweden and Japan smaller, as we could hear about their stories.”
“I believe this documentary sends an important message about the courage to help others, not just in the time of need, but always. About the importance of working together.”
21 mars 2017
Webbredaktör: Ulrica Nordström
Sidansvarig: Department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkish Studies
- 02 maj Guest lecture: First Westerners' contacts with the Korean Peninsula and the Korean language
- 04 maj Research Seminar: Trust and belonging in EU-Turkey relations
- 08 maj Monday lecture: the Avant-Garde in Contemporary China
- 15 maj Voice of the Muslim Brotherhood: Da’wa, Discourse and Political Communication
- 24 maj Higher seminar: Presentation of dissertation plan