History

Bloms hus was designed by architect Fredrik Blom (1781-1853), who is considered Sweden’s foremost architect in the first third of the 19th century, and inaugurated in 1838. The house was built for different purposes. The ground floor housed the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture’s collections of farming and household tools, and included the residence of the Experimental Field’s inspector. The Academy’s ceremonial room was on the second floor, and the airy top floor was used to sort and dry seeds. In the early 20th century, the house was used as an agricultural chemistry laboratory, and in 1909, the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture gave the house to the state.  In 1927, the building was extended by four vertical rows of windows. All details (e.g. frames) were copied in order to create a good balance. In order not to ruin the proportions of the house, the main entrance was moved to the middle of the new façade, complete with Karl XIV Johan’s monogram and the black griffins.

What is here today

The Senior Management Team, the Strategic Planning Office and the Communications Office.

Fun facts

For some time, various agricultural tools, seed collections and grains were kept here for teaching purposes.