Frescativägen 54
Frescativägen 54
 

History

The building was designed by functionalist architect Paul Hedqvist (1895-1977), who also made Tranebergsbron (1933), Kårhuset (for Stockholm University College in 1935), Skatteskrapan (1955) and the Dagens Nyheter building (1964). Typical of Hedqvist’s architecture is his penchant for square proportions in façade and window design. The red brick building is an example of Hedqvist’s way of working with bricks. His architecture is otherwise characterised by a rational functionalism with polished façades on the one hand, and an international modernism with large elements of concrete and glass on the other. His buildings are generally characterised by an orthogonal and geometrical divison of walls and windows.

This building was designed as two connected structures with separate functions: a five-storey laboratory part and a six-storey office part. The building has two entrances: a main entrance to the north and one to the south which connects to the walking path across Djursgårdsbacken. The building was originally constructed as a chemical practice laboratory.

What is here today

The Department of Education moved in here in 2009.

Fun facts

In May 1961, King Gustaf VI Adolf broke the first ground in the construction of the building that became one of Stockholm University’s first department buildings in the Frescati area. The inauguration took place in September 1963.