History
Södra huset was designed by architect David Helldén (1905-1990) after a Nordic architect competition and was inaugurated in 1971. The complex consists of six tall buildings, named using the letters A-F. A low, elongated structure connects the tall buildings, which are arranged in parallel position to each other with green gardens in between. The glass façade has a bright blue-green tint which was achieved by painting the back of the tempered glass panels white. It is the tint of the glass itself that gives the façade its colour. The glass panels are kept in place by small aluminium plates, and the seams between the glass panels form a sort of counter-relief grid which, in combination with the window placement, makes the exterior come to life. Ralph Erskine contributed by designing the canopies in front of the building’s entrances.

David Helldén also developed a plan for the interior decorations, with non-figurative art by artists such as Olle Baertling (1911-1981).


What is here today
The building complex contains administrative and office space for the University’s central administration, departments and research centres, as well as lecture halls, seminar rooms and work rooms. (For more information, see the orientation maps placed inside the entrances.)

 

Fun facts
Södra huset is also famous for its interior. A major characteristic is the different colour of each building: A house - red, B house - blue, C house - green, D house - orange, E house - turquoise, and F house - yellow. This is manifest in the wall paint and various decorative details, such as ceiling lights.