History
The University Library was designed by architect Ralph Erskine (1914-2005) and inaugurated in 1983. The façade consists of prefabricated concrete panels with wooden sections and low strip windows. The façade towards Södra huset consists of brown-painted corrugated sheet metal with an arched roof. The windows of the main building are inclined outward and downward. On the western façade, Erskine has attached a few distinctive, south-facing balconies. The north-south passage is accentuated externally by a construction that interacts with the stainless steel coating and relates to the roof of the Arrhenius Laboratory.


What is here today
The University Library is a public library, and is thus open to the public. It currently consists of a main library and eight branch libraries.


Fun facts
Stockholm University Library is one of Sweden’s biggest research libraries and one of Stockholm’s most visited cultural institutions, with about 1.8 million visitors each year.