History
The building from 1936 was designed after a competition by architects Nils Ahrbom (1905-1997) and Helge Zimdahl (1903-2001) as a secondary school for girls (“Högre Allmänna Läroverket för flickor å Norrmalm”). The location was carefully chosen because of its proximity to Bellevue Park.

The school was the first in Stockholm where girls could obtain a secondary school diploma. The decision to build special secondary schools for girls came from the parliament and was a direct result of the decision in 1923 to allow women to hold senior public positions. The secondary schools were to educate these aspiring civil servants.

In 1960, the school started to accept boys, and eventually became “Sveaplans gymnasium”, where training continued until 1987. In 1995, the school building was thoroughly renovated and adapted to the activities of the Department of Social Work. The building is a beautiful example of early functionalism and is characterised by its simple geometrical shapes, smooth, bright façades, and long strip windows without dividers for maximum light intake.
 

What is here today
The Department of Social Work (Socialhögskolan) and various research centres for health and alcohol research.


Fun facts
The building is one of the foremost examples of early functionalist architecture in Sweden.