History
Victoriahuset (Victoria House) was inaugurated in 1900 and is now listed as a historic building. Like many other gardens at the time, its purpose was to cultivate and display the giant water lily Victoria. The building was designed by Ivan Örtendahl (1870-1935), who was the academy gardener at Uppsala University and worked at the Uppsala Botanical Garden.

What is here today
Water lilies from all over the world can be found in the Victoria House pond, along with a variety of other aquatic plants. The surrounding trees are covered with climbing plants and epiphytes (non-parasitic plants growing upon other plants). The building is also host to many tropical utility plants, such as rice, sugar canes and starch plants.

Fun facts
The Victoria water lily has a diameter of about 2.6 metres and only unfolds its petals when darkness falls.