- VR Grant for research on gravitational waves 2017-03-22 Ariel Goobar, Department of Physics, has been awarded the new Research Environment Grant (bidrag till forskningsmiljöer) from the Swedish Research Council (VR). It’s a six year grant of around 21.5 million SEK (2.4 million USD) for a project on gravitational waves and electromagnetic radiation.
- Your sense of smell can predict risk of death 2017-03-22 A decreased sense of smell is correlated with an increased risk of death, a new psychology study from Stockholm University shows. The connection is independent from other health variables like age, gender and dementia.
- Imaging the Complexity of Life SciLifeLab Science Summit 2017 2017-03-22 International and national speakers are lined up to discuss the current state and future perspectives of bioimaging technologies and how they are used in research. Vote for Highlight of the year. Ample time for discussions and mingle. Visit SciLifeLab imaging facilities at the Facility corner, and visit the PhD Students & Postdoc bioimaging posters. Meet the speakers during the mingle after the conference. In addition, we invite everyone to participate in this year’s art event, The Art walk.
- Silicon fertiliser reduces heavy metals in food 2017-03-22 Fertilising with silicon, which is harmless to humans, reduces the level of poisonous arsenic and cadmium in the edible parts of potatoes, carrots, yellow onion and wheat by up to 40 per cent.
- This year’s recipients of SSAG scholarships announced 2017-03-21 The Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography, has announced who has been awarded scholarships for 2017. Among the grantees are several researchers at the Department of Social Anthropology.
- "I had to acknowledge my own big role in this story" 2017-03-22 Identities, right-wing extremism and the relationship with her father. Those were the themes when the feminist icon and Pulitzer Prize winner Susan Faludi visited Stockholm University to talk about her latest book "In the Darkroom".
- DEEP science on over 350 000 Twitter timelines 2017-03-21 Scientists around the world active on Twitter received an outburst of tweets from Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Science (DEEP), during a conference last week.
- EU/EEA students – time to apply 2017-03-16 On 15 March the second admission round for master's programmes starting in the autumn 2017 opens. The last date to apply is 18 April.