Are you eligible?

Foreign guest researchers with a doctoral degree, Post Docs and PhD students (including PhD students on exchange) are eligible to apply for University housing. Researchers with a permanent position at Stockholm University are not eligible to apply.

Foreign undergraduates, exchange students (on a Master or Bachelor level) and regular Master’s students are not eligible to apply.

Double occupancy

In some accommodation areas it is possible to share accommodation. Double occupancy is only allowed at Docentbacken, Bondegatan and Fjällis housing areas.  You will always receive two sets of keys if you have informed us about double occupancy, however we need the name of the person that will be sharing your accommodation before the extra keys can be released.  One extra bed can be provided only at Fjällis for a one time fee of SEK 1000.  Additional beds cannot be provided at Docentbacken or Bondegatan.

Double occupancy is not allowed in the Kurland or Nora Torg accommodations.

Maximum period of occupation 1 year

Our accommodations are intended for temporary stays only and not for researchers holding permanent positions or having permits of residence.

The minimum period of occupation for all areas except Docentbacken is two months and the maximum period of occupation is one year. For Docentbacken the minimum occupation period is six months and the maximum is one year.  Once housing has been received it is not permitted to apply for housing a second time.

Housing queue

When an application has been submitted, it is placed in the queue for accommodation. The waiting time for housing depends on many factors, such as requested accommodation size, housing area, rent level, or time of year, therefore waiting time can vary. If you are flexible with options, the queue time can be about 4-6 months, but it can also be both shorter or longer than that.  The queue can be up to one year long for larger apartments (in some cases even longer). The queue for Docentbacken is also generally longer then for the other housing areas.

Demand for all accommodation is high and we are unfortunately not able to accommodate everyone who applies.

If your requested arrival date has passed and you have not received an offer, you need to send an email to within one month in order to remain in the queue.  If we do not hear from you within one month from your requested arrival date, we will assume that you have arranged for other accommodation, and your application will be removed from the queue.

Application form for University accommodation

When you are offered accommodation

If there is accommodation available, an offer is sent to you by email. You will then need to contact us by email by the time that is stated in the offer (3 days minimum) or you will loose the offer.

If we have not received any reply from you within one month from your offer, your application will be cancelled. If you wish to remain in the queue for a second offer you must send an email to

Offers are sent earliest two months before the requested moving in date. This means that if you applied in March for an apartment from November, you will receive an offer no earlier than September.

You will only recieve a maximum of two offers.  If both offers are declined, you will be removed from the waiting list.