Dr. Steve W. Lyon
Associate Professor in Hydrology
My research centers on identifying the underlying physical processes that determine how landscapes and water interact across scales and coevolve with time. Unraveling these feedbacks has significant implications for the viability of climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies associated with the current and future sustainability of coupled terrestrial and aquatic systems.
- Information and modeling systems for land and water resources (GE7006)
- Local to global water vulnerability and resilience (GE7025)
- How to use Matlab to solve problems in environmental, climatological, and earth science research (BBCC PhD Course)
- Ecohydrology: a Mediterranean perspective, co-taught with Stefano Manzoni (GE7049)
- Reoccurring guest lecturer in Hydrology and Hydrogeology (GE5004), Biogeochemical Cycles (MO7013), Urbanization and Environment (KG7204) and several other courses
Current PhD Students and Postdocs
- Dr. Mattias Winterdahl (postdoc supervisor) - Modeling coupled hydrological-permafrost interactions and carbon transport in a changing climate
- Norris Lam (main supervisor) - Improved streamflow and flood monitoring using LiDAR data
- Alexander Koutsouris (main supervisor) - Modelling water resources effects of land-water management in Tanzania, Africa
- Dmytro Kyryliuk (minor supervisor) - Combining ocean color remote sensing and hydrological parameters for evaluating the effect of terrestrial run-off on coastal ecology
- Rene Mbanguka (minor supervisor) - Modelling water resources effects of land-water management in Tanzania, Africa
- Elin Jacobs (minor supervisor) - Connecting landscape structure with hydrologic function (at Purdue University)
Former PhD Students and Postdocs
- Dr. Ylva Sjöberg (main supervisor) - Now at Stockholm University
- Dr. Elin Jantze (main supervisor) - Now at Stockholm University
- Dr. Helen Dahlke (postdoc supervisor) - Now at UC Davis
- Lic. Marcus Nathanson (main supervisor) - Now at Åsö vuxengymnasium
- Dr. Elikana Kalumanga (minor supervisor) - Now at University of Dar es Salaam
- Dr. Fernando Jaramillo (minor supervisor) - Now at University of Gothenburg
- Dr. Johanna Mård Karlsson (minor supervisor) - Now at Stockholm University
- Dr. Arvid Bring (minor supervisor) - Now at University of New Hampshire
- Dr. Katerina Mazi (minor supervisor) - Now at National Observatory of Athens
Ten most recent publications
Koutsouris, A.J., D. Chen, S.W. Lyon (2015) Comparing global precipitation datasets in Eastern Africa: a case study of Kilombero Valley, Tanzania, International Journal of Climatology, in press.
Harpold, A.A., J.A. Marshall, S.W. Lyon, T.B. Barnhart, B. Fisher, M. Donovan, K.M. Brubaker, C.J. Crosby, N.F. Glenn, C.L. Glennie, P.B. Kirchner, N. Lam, K.D. Mankoff, J.L. McCreight, N.P. Molotch, K.N. Musselman, J. Pelletier, T. Russo, H. Sangireddy, Y. Sjöberg, T. Swetnam, N. West (2015) Laser Vision: Lidar as a Transformative Tool to Advance Critical Zone Science, Hydrological and Earth Systems Science, 19, 2881-2897, doi:10.5194/hess-19-2881-2015.
Lyon, S.W., M. Nathanson, N. Lam, H. Dahlke, M. Rutzinger, J.W. Kean, H. Laudon (2015) Can low-resolution airborne laser scanning data be used to model stream rating curves?, Water, 7, 1324-1339, doi:10.3390/w7041324.
Sjöberg, Y., P. Marklund, R. Pettersson, S. W. Lyon (2015) Geophysical mapping of palsa peatland permafrost, The Cryosphere, 9, 465-478.
Jantze, E.J., H. Laudon, H.E., Dahlke, S.W. Lyon (2015), Spatial variability of dissolved organic and inorganic carbon in sub-arctic headwater streams. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, in press.
Lam, N., M. Nathanson, N. Lundgren, R. Rehnström, S.W. Lyon (2015), A cost-effective laser scanning method for mapping stream channel geometry and roughness. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 1-10. DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12299.
Bodil, E., G. Destouni, A. Angerbjörn, S. Borgström, E. Boyd, S. Cousins, L. Dalén, J. Ehrlén, M. Ermold, P. Hambäck, J. Hedlund, K. Hylander, F. Jaramillo, V. Lagerholm, S. Lyon, H. Moor, B. Nykvist, M. Pasanen-Mortensen, J. Plue, C. Prieto, Y. van der Velde, R. Lindborg (2015), Interacting effects of change in climate, human population, land use and water use on biodiversity and ecosystem services. Ecology and Society, 20(1), 23. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.5751/ES-07145-200123.
van der Velde, Y., I. Heidbüchel, S.W. Lyon, L. Nyberg, A. Rodhe, K. Bishop, P.A. Troch (2014), Consequences of mixing assumptions for time-variable travel time distributions, Hydrological Processes, in press.
Kalantari, Z., S.W. Lyon, P-E. Jansson, J. Stolte, H.K. French, L. Folkeson, M. Sassner (2014), Modeller subjectivity and calibration impacts on hydrological model applications: an event-based comparison for a road-adjacent catchment in South-East Norway, Science of The Total Environment, 502, 315-329, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.09.030.
Lyon, S.W., Meidani, R., van der Velde, Y., Dahlke, H.E., Swaney, D.P., Mörth, C.M., Humborg, C. (2015), Seasonal and regional patterns in performance for a Baltic Sea drainage basin hydrologic model. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 51(2), 550-566. DOI: 10.1111/jawr.12268.
Ten most cited publications
McDonnell, J., K. McGuire, P. Aggarwal, K. Beven, D. Biondi, G. Destouni, S. Dunn, A. James, J. Kirchner, P. Kraft, S. Lyon, P. Maloszewski, B. Newman, L. Pfister, A. Rinaldo, A. Rodhe, T. Sayama, J. Seibert, K. Solomon, C. Soulsby, M. Stewart, D. Tetzlaff, C. Tobin, P. Troch, M. Weiler, A. Western, A. Wörman, S. Wrede (2010), How old is the water? Open questions in catchment transit time conceptualization, modelling and analysis, Hydrological Processes, 24(12), 1745-1754, doi:10.1002/hyp.7796.
Lyon, S.W., M.T. Walter, P. Gérard-Marchant, and T.S. Steenhuis (2004), Using a topographic index to distribute variable source area runoff predicted with the SCS-curve number equation, Hydrological Processes, 18(15), 2757-2771.
Agnew, L.J., S.W. Lyon, P. Gérard-Marchant, V.B. Collins, A.J. Lembo, T.S. Steenhuis, and M.T. Walter (2006), Identifying hydrologically sensitive areas: Bridging the gap between science and application, Journal of Environmental Management, 78, 63-76.
Lyon, S.W., G. Destouni, R. Giesler, C. Humborg, M. Mörth, J. Seibert, J. Karlsson, and P.A. Troch (2009), Estimation of permafrost thawing rates in a sub-arctic catchment using recession flow analysis, Hydrology and Earth Systems Sciences, 13, 595-604, doi:10.5194/hess-13-595-2009.
Heidbüchel, I., P.A. Troch, S.W. Lyon, and M. Weiler (2012), The master transit time distribution of variable flow systems, Water Resources Research, 48, 6, doi:10.1029/2011WR011293.
Lyon, S.W., A.J. Lembo, M.T. Walter, and T.S. Steenhuis (2006), Defining probability of saturation with indicator kriging on hard and soft data, Advances in Water Resources, 29(2), 181-193.
Broxton, P.D., P.A. Troch, and S.W. Lyon (2009), On the role of aspect to quantify water transit times in small mountainous catchments, Water Resources Research, 45, W08427, doi:10.1029/2008WR007438.
Lyon, S.W. and G. Destouni (2010), Changes in catchment-scale recession flow properties in response to permafrost thawing in the Yukon River Basin, International Journal of Climatology, 30, 14, 2138-2145.
Lyon, S.W., J. Seibert, A.J. Lembo, M.T. Walter, and T.S. Steenhuis (2006), Geostatistical investigation into the temporal evolution of spatial structure in a shallow water table, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 10, 113-125, doi:10.5194/hess-10-113-2006.
Lyon, S.W., S.L.E. Desilets, and P.A. Troch (2009), A tale of two isotopes: Differences in hydrograph separation for a runoff event when using dD vs. d18O, Hydrological Processes, 23(4), 2095-2101, doi:10.1002/hyp.7326.