Environmental action plan, reports and travel statistics for IGV
Travel and meetings
Travel and meeting policy for Stockholm University
Digitala möten och videokonferenser vid universitetet (page only available in Swedish)
Purchase and procurement
- Purchase and procurement are among the university activities with the largest environmental imprint. Therefore it is important to make environmentally good choices when purchasing. The document Regler för inköp och upphandling (Rules for purchase and procurement, only in Swedish) states that the University's Environmental Policy applies to all purchases and procurement. Information in English about procurement.
- Upphandlingshandboken (The Procurement handbook, only in Swedish) has information on environmental and social requirements (Miljökrav och sociala krav) to prioritize in procurement.
- Working with chemicals in the field or laboratory entails risks of emissions to water, air or ground. Everybody working with chemicals must be familiar with and follow the routines of SU and IGV. Primarily this means the Stockholm University Chemical Handling Procedure (72 Kb) and Safety regulations for IGV ( Safety Procedures 2019 (163 Kb) . Further information about chemical management is available at Sustainable Campus, https://www.su.se/sustainablecampus/how-to-do/chemical-management.
- To make sure Stockholm University follows the law on transport of dangerous goods, the university safety advisor for dangerous goods must be contacted before chemicals are transported outside of campus. Read more at Sustainable Campus, https://www.su.se/sustainablecampus/how-to-do/chemical-management/transporting-chemicals.
- To prevent spread of pests the regulations Statens jordbruksverks föreskrifter (SJVFS 1996:13) om införsel från tredje land eller förflyttning inom Europeiska unionen (EU) av växter m.m. för vetenskapligt ändamål must be followed. The wording "soil and other growing substrate intended for experiments, ...., or other scientific activity" means this can apply to activity at IGV. Information on import of soil and other growing substrates can be found at the Swedish Board of Agriculture. Here you can also apply for exception to the plant protection rules.
To save energy, please remember to always:
- Turn off the lights when you leave your office for lunch and meetings.
- Turn off screens and machines and unplug chargers not in use.
- In the laboratory, keep the fume hoods closed when not in use.
- Consider the energy efficiency when buying new electrical equipment.
Read more about saving energy at Sustainable Campus.
Last updated: March 16, 2021
Source: Department of Geological Sciences