Study abroad

Studying one or two semesters abroad is a fantastic opportunity to try out a new academic environment. Furthermore, you also have new experiences, get to know a new culture, and possibly meet friends for life.

Study in Singapore
Singapore is one of the possible destinations for Physics' exchange students

During your exchange period, you mainly study courses corresponding to those offered at the Department of Physics, but it is also often possible to study one or more courses in a subject area not taught by us.

In addition to providing new experiences, taking part in an exchange shows that you are able to challenge yourself. The experience helps you with social and inter-cultural personal skills ahead of working life. It can also help you further develop a network of contacts that can be valuable in your future professional life.


Where can I go?

The Department of Physics has departmental agreements with several universities, mainly within Europe. In addition, Stockholm University also has agreements with universities around the world.

There is a database for both central and departmental agreements that you can look into to get an idea of countries you can go to. If the Department of Physics does not have an agreement with a university you want to go to, contact the International coordinator at Fysikum. There might be agreement that does not show or we can look in to the possibility to set up a new agreement.

Agreement database 


Would you like to broaden your academic horizons and gain a deeper understanding of different countries? The Faculty of Science offers you exciting opportunities to study abroad!

In today's changing world, it is important that we promote an open and inclusive international academic collaboration. Student mobility contributes to a greater diversity of ideas and experiences, creating a more globally oriented and dynamic academic environment where students from different parts of the world can meet and learn from each other.

International opportunities


Who can go?

In order for us to be able to nominate you as an exchange student, you need to be an active student at the Department of Physics. This means that you must be registered for at least one course with us the semester before you want to go. We also want you to have completed at least 30 credits before you leave. As a guideline, students at the bachelor's level usually go during year 2 or 3, while students at the master's level can go from their second semester onwards. For visits regulated by agreements between universities (so-called central agreements) rather than between departments there may be extra requirements.

Search for exchange agreements on the central Student services’ pages


The application process for an exchange depends on the type of agreement. The first step is therefore to contact our exchange coordinator. Remember to do so well in advance! Exchanges at universities outside Europe must usually be applied for almost one year in advance, and the Department of Physics' own agreements within Europe require at least six months’ notice. More information about applying for Stockholm University's central agreements can be found on the central Student services’ pages on exchange studies.

Before you apply, you should have thought through which courses you want to study. A good start is therefore to look at the website of the university where you want to make the exchange, and see what courses they have. Then you can compare with the courses you would have read at the Department of Physics.

You apply to spots through agreements with the Physics department through the International coordinator.


As a student at the Department of Physics, you have the possibility to apply for a scholarship for a traineeship during your studies or immediately after graduation. The traineeship must be at least 60 days (maximum one year), and must take place at a company, research center or university abroad. All of the Department of Physics' research groups have international collaborations, so the traineeship can, for example, be part of your master thesis.

Read more about Erasmus+ traineeship abroad here


Go as an exchange student

There are different ways to study for one or more semesters abroad. The most common is to travel as an exchange student through one of the agreements that exist at Stockholm University. As an exchange student, you do not pay a tuition fee to the foreign university and the exchange is regulated by an agreement. This means that you receive a study plan before the exchange, so that you know how the courses fit into your studies, and which credits you can expect when you return.

If you go on an exchange through an agreement, you are automatically covered by the Student-UT insurance.

 Central student service's pages on exchange studies

If you are eligible for the study aid provided by CSN, you can continue to receive this support during your time as an exchange student. You can also apply for an extra loan to cover additional expenses incurred by the exchange (e.g., return air fare). Within the Erasmus+ programme, most students also receive a small scholarship via Stockholm University. If you are doing an exchange outside Europe, it may be possible to apply for other scholarships as many foundations support student exchange.



Please contact the international coordinator if you have any questions regarding studying abroad.

International coordinator
On this page