The first building (no. 10) was designed by architect Carl Nyrén (1917-2011) and inaugurated in 1973. It was built for the chemistry departments and is considered one of the most consistent and architecturally successful examples of the “structuralist” style. In accordance with this style, the architect used a series of standardised, prefabricated concrete elements as piers, beams, floor slabs and stairs, where the façade elements would guarantee both flexibility and unlimited extensibility. In total, the building consists of four relatively thin sections that were fused together to form a long, fully enclosed courtyard stretching north to south. The exterior consists of raw concrete piers with sharply protruding supports, smooth concrete parapets and low strip windows. Some parts of the façade are, like the huge ventilation hoods on the roof, clad in silver stainless steel.

Kemiska övningslaboratoriet (no. 16. House A, B, E)

Also known as the Chemical Practice Laboratory. The building was designed by architect Tomas Rosén from the architect firm Nyréns and inaugurated in 1995. It consists of a prefabricated system where the façade behind the pier has a traditional character with coloured parapets and Falu red woodwork.

Biologihuset (no. 14-18. House E-G)

The building was designed by architect Bertil Brodin from the architect firm Nyréns and inaugurated in 1985. It consists of three parallel structures with a north-south orientation, connected in the upper levels by glazed walkways. It is also constructed of long prefabricated systems with a special window design. The building opens to the south with generous balconies. The only lecture hall in the building has been broken out into a separate volume with green-painted wood panels.

What is here today

Various chemistry and biology units.

Fun facts

The buildings were named after chemist Svante Arrhenius, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1903. The first building inspired director Mikael Håfström, who let it serve as the company Angila Medical’s facility in the film “Hassel - Botgörarna” in 1991.