Photo: Eva Dalin
Photo: Eva Dalin


Frescatibackehusen were built between 1940 and 1944 for the Royal Veterinary College and the National Veterinary Institute (SVA), based on designs by architects Gunnar Asplund (1885-1940) and Joel Lundeqvist (1894-1947), who completed Asplund’s ideas.

No. 19

The building originally housed a stable with 60 stalls. This remained until the 1970s, when the Museum of Natural History took over the building as warehouse storage for their collections of animal skeletons, including a large whale skeleton.

What is here today

The Centre for Teaching and Learning in the Humanities, with teaching facilities for the teacher education’s aesthetic activities and SU Innovation.

Fun facts

The army’s old horses came to this stable when they could no longer be used in army activities. Here, they came to perform a different task: to donate blood to supply Sweden with diphtheria serum.

No. 21

The building was constructed for the National Veterinary Institute and included a laboratory for pets. It consists of an L-shaped, three-storey high building with both ends connected to old stables.

What is here today

Department of Child and Youth Studies moved into the buildings the summer of 2019.