Karta över Bergianska trädgården, Stockholms universitet


Bergianska trädgården (the only botanical garden in Stockholm) is responsible for spreading knowledge about biodiversity and botany, as well as providing material for research and education. The garden is owned and managed by Stockholm University and the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences/the Bergius Foundation. Research is conducted here under the direction of a person with the title “Professor Bergianus”, integrated with activities at the Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences at Stockholm University.


History
Bergianska trädgården has its origin in a garden called Bergielund, which was laid out by brothers Bengt and Peter Jonas Bergius in the middle of the 18th century. It was located between present-day Karlbergsvägen, Odengatan, Torsgatan, and Hälsingegatan in Stockholm. After the two brothers died, the property was donated to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the Bergius Foundation was established (1791). According to the brothers’ will, a director was to be appointed in the capacity of a professor. The garden was to serve as a gardening school and horticultural research facility.

In 1885, the garden was moved to its present location at Brunnsviken. The Professor Bergianus at the time was Veit Wittrock, whose visions resulted in the design and characteristics the garden has today, with the phytogeographical regions, systematic sections, mountain-shaped rockeries, the Victoria House and the Victoria Pond. The aim was to create a botanical garden based on scientific principles.

The outdoor areas, the Victoria House, and the tropical sections of the Edvard Anderson Conservatory constitute Stockholm University’s part of the botanical garden and have belonged to the University since the 1980s. Much of the garden is now listed as a historic site and managed by the National Property Board.


Fun facts
An important source of knowledge about Bergielund is the garden journal that Peter Jonas Bergius kept for many years. It comprises about 600 handwritten pages that can be found among the Bergius Foundation’s books in the science rarities collection at Stockholm University Library.