Who appoints honorary doctorates?

The Board of the Academic Area appoints honorary doctorates for the academic area after proposals from and discussions within the faculties. The right to appoint honorary doctors can be delegated to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

Who can become an honorary doctorate?

The proposed person should be affiliated with the University or have contributed to the University in some way. Honorary doctorates may not be awarded in return for financial contributions in the form of grants, donations and the like. A honorary doctor is often a researcher who 
have established ties with the faculties through their research activities, but other persons who have not obtained a doctorate can also be appointed honorary doctors.

As Sweden is a small country, the distinction is national in scope. A person who has already been awarded a PhD in Sweden within a certain academic area may not be awarded an honorary doctorate in the same area. It is, however, quite possible to appoint a doctor of philosophy, for example, to an honorary doctor of Laws and vice versa. It is not usual that someone be appointed an honorary doctorate at the same university that he or she graduated from.

The proposed person should not already possess an honorary doctorate with the same designation from any other Swedish university or higher education institution. However, a person may be an honorary doctor of philosophy at one university and honorary doctor of medicine at another.

In the case of foreign nationals with a foreign degree, there is no obstacle to giving honorary doctorates in the same area as the foreign degree. Such a person can not become an honorary doctorate in the same area at two universities in Sweden.