If you are staying for a shorter time (e.g. less than three to six months), it is normally easier to use your bank account in your home country for fincancial matters. We strongly recommend you to bring a Visa/MasterCard to Sweden, as cards are widely used all over the country. Remember to activate your card first if it is blocked for purchases and withdrawals outside your home country/continent.

Generally you need the following to open an account at any Swedish bank:

  • Valid passport
  • Letter of acceptance including the duration of your studies or employment contract
  • Details of address in Sweden
  • Extract from the population register (personbevis) if you have a Swedish personal number
  • Residence permit/Right of residence or co-ordination number if you don't have a Swedish personal number.

If you are planning to stay for longer than 12 months in Sweden you should apply for a Swedish personal number as soon as possible. If you are temporarily employed, your employer has requested a co-ordination number for you.

Below you will find information from different banks in Sweden (listed in alphabetical order).



The cheapest way to pay bills is through the bank's payment services, which are also available online. Visa, MasterCard, Visa Electron, Maestro are accepted for online payments, but make sure your card is activated for internet payments. To pay bills over-the-counter in banks can cost about 150 SEK per bill, Forex Bank having the lowest fees.

ID card

Banks (Nordea, SEB, Handelsbanken and Swedbank) issue identity cards but normally only to customers with Swedish ID. You can order an ID card from the tax office (Skatteverket).

Swedish Tax Agency issues ID cards.