Stockholm university

Q&A on the coronavirus for international and exchange students

This information is for international and exchange students who have applied or been admitted for studies at Stockholm University.

This Q&A will be updated when there are new regulations and directives from the Swedish Government and when new decisions are taken by the University, please check back regularly for updates.


Study form at Stockholm University

From 22 March 2022 teaching and examination will mainly take place according to the regular form on campus.

Contact you department for specific information about your courses or programme:


Migration and travel to Sweden

The previous entry ban, related to the COVID-19 pandemic, ended on 31 March 2022. From 1 April 2022 a negative test or vaccine certificate is not required to enter Sweden. Ordinary entry requirements applies, like holding a valid travel document, and possibly a visa.
Find further details on the Swedish Police Authority website. 

And on the Public Health Agency of Sweden website


Health and insurance

Yes, everyone aged 12 or older, or who will turn 16 this year, will be offered vaccination. You do not have to be a Swedish citizen to get vaccinated. If you have a Swedish Personal Identity you can book an appointment through the Alltid öppet app or via phone. If you do not have a Swedish Personal Identity number you can contact a healthcare centre (vårdcentral) for an appointment. Use the map function on the search page for health care clinics in the Stockholm region to find your nearest health care clinic. You do not have to pay for vaccination against COVID-19.

Find more information on how to book an appointment for vaccination at

Students who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 in Stockholm, and who do not have a personal identity number or coordination number, can obtain a COVID certificate by calling the following phone support number: 08-123 365 78.

Covid testing through the healthcare centers and hospitals in Sweden is now mainly for healthcare staff and people who are at risk of becoming seriously ill because of special health conditions. If you want to test yourself, you can buy an antigen test from any pharmacy.

Find more information on how get tested at

Exchange students are covered by the insurance Student-IN which will cover all major health care expenses. Remember to keep all your original receipts to make an insurance claim. Note that the insurance only applies while in Sweden. If you study your exchange courses online from your home country please be advised to look for your own insurance coverage. 

Insurance for students

EU/EEA citizens and citizens from Switzerland should register for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their home country before coming to Sweden. This card gives the right to medical care at the same cost as Swedes. Remember to always bring the card when seeking medical care.

Fee-paying international students are covered by FAS - The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students. Note that the insurance only applies while in Sweden, or in the Schengen area (for Schengen visa holders).

Insurance for fee-paying students.

All students who are staying in Sweden for more than one year should apply for a Swedish personal number, which will entitle them to the same healthcare services as other Swedish residents. 

Swedish personal identity number


Postponement of your studies

If you are an exchange student: Contact your exchange coordinator at your home university if you would like to postpone or cancel your exchange. They can help with the details and depending on the format of the exchange agreement between your home university and Stockholm University, they can possibly nominate you for the next semester.

If you are an international student: There are specific guidelines in Sweden and at Stockholm University regarding the grounds for deferral. These grounds are related to medical situations, legal requirements, or other situations that make it impossible for you to start your studies as planned. As for the coronavirus pandemic, it is not in itself a ground for deferral. If you are unable to commence your studies you can apply for deferral and verify the reason for the deferral by providing documentation, for example, a doctor's certificate if you have fallen ill. When you apply for deferral a decision regarding your possibility to defer will be made on an individual basis. If you will not be able to commence your studies and you cannot be granted a deferral, you are instead recommended to decline the offered seat. You are much welcome to apply again next year and declining your offer will not affect your chances of being admitted again next year.

Read more about the application for deferral for international students


Tuition fee and reimbursements (for fee-paying students only)

There are no adjustments made to the tuition fee because of the COVID-19 pandemic. For information about deadlines and refunds, please see our information about costs, fees and scholarships


Related information

Information to the public from the responsible authorities about the outbreak of Covid-19 Official information on the Covid-19 pandemic

Information for students and staff about Covid-19 from Stockholm University: Information on covid-19


On this page