Information på svenska 🇸🇪

Choosing your Courses and programmes


Application process


Costs, fees & scholarships


Once you have been admitted


How do I find courses and programmes offered in English?

A full list of all courses and programmes at Stockholm University is available via the online the course catalogue. Choose “Show only courses for international students” to see which courses and programmes do not require knowledge of Swedish.

Go to top

Who can I contact to get detailed information regarding a course or programme?

We have a decentralised organisation at Stockholm University and everything concerning specific courses and programmes is handled by the individual department. Each department has a study counsellor who can answer questions related to the courses or programmes given by the department.

You can find contact information on the webpage of the department.

List of departments at Stockholm University

Go to top

Where can I find information for exchange students?

If you want to study at Stockholm University through a formal student exchange agreement between your home university and Stockholm University, please visit

Go to top

Can I come to study one or two semesters even though my university does not have an exchange agreement with Stockholm University?

In order to be an exchange student there must be a formal student exchange agreement between your home university and Stockholm University (if this is the case you should contact for more information, or visit

International students, regardless of country (or University) of origin, can apply to study one or more free standing courses or a full study programme.

Courses and Programmes for International Students

Stockholm University offers courses at both undergraduate and advanced level with English as the language of instruction. International students can choose between studying one or more free standing courses, that each may last between five weeks and one semester, or apply for a full programme. A full list of all courses and programmes at Stockholm University is available on the course catalogue. Choose “Show filters” and select “Show only courses for international students” to see which courses and programmes do not require knowledge of Swedish. All courses on the University Admissions search database are taught in English and directed to international students, and you can apply for any course that you find there, as long as you fulfil the eligibility requirements.

Go to top

How do I apply?

Application – a step-by-step guide

To apply as an international student, please visit where you can: 

  • Search for and apply to courses and programmes.
  • Find key dates and deadlines and information on how to submit your documents.
  • Pay your application fee or document fee exemption.
  • Track your application and receive notifications of selection results.

Go to top

When can I apply to Stockholm University?

Key dates and deadlines:

Autumn semester 2019

Spring semester 2020

Autumn Semester 2020

Go to top

When is the next application period for international programmes?

The application for international programmes starting in the autumn semester 2019 closed on 15 January 2019. The next international admission round for courses and programmes starting in the autumn semester 2020 will be open between  16 October 2019 and 15 January 2020.

Go to top

What documentation do I need to submit?

In order to document your eligibility, you must provide University Admissions in Sweden with copies of your previous study information, as well as document your English proficiency. All documents should be sent to University Admissions in Sweden.

It is very important that you read the following sections on documenting your eligibility:

Documenting your eligibility for studies

Whether or not you need to submit additional documents to those stated at is decided by the individual department responsible for the course or programme. You should therefore contact the department that gives the course or programme directly regarding this.

List of departments at Stockholm University

Go to top


What are the eligibility/entry requirements for master’s programmes?

In order to be eligible, you have to fulfil the general entry (eligibility) requirements as well as the specific requirements for the programme you are interested in.
The general eligibility requirement for all Master’s programmes is the possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, corresponding to at least 180 credits in the European Credit Transfer System,

Qualifications information specific to your country

The specific requirements vary between the programmes. Most programmes have requirements of a specific major subject in your Bachelor’s degree. Evaluation of whether the applicants fulfil the specific requirements is handled by the individual department. If you have questions on this you should therefore contact the department that gives the course or programme directly

List of departments at Stockholm University

English Language requirement

A very good command of English equivalent to Course English 6/B from Swedish Upper Secondary School is also required.

Go to top

I am in my final year of my bachelor’s studies, can I apply to a Master's degree?

If you do not hold the required degree but are registered for the last year of a programme leading to such a degree, Stockholm University permits conditional admission if you can provide:

  • transcripts from your second last year, and
  • an official document stating that you are likely to be awarded the degree by the start of the Swedish programme. The document has to be issued through and certified by a representative of the Academic Registrar's Office, the Examinations Office or equivalent of the institution. 

University Admissions in Sweden has created a form which you can use to get certification from your current university:

Statement of enrollment status for students in their final year

Go to top

How can I meet the English language requirement?

You can demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement either through certain upper secondary (high school) studies, or certain university studies, or an internationally approved English test. Please see the following sections for more information regarding how you can meet the English requirement for English 6 or Course B.

Upper secondary (high school) studies

Exemptions for university studies

Language test

Please note that some programmes have compulsory language tests with higher scores than the general English language requirement (for example some programmes offered by the Department of English) - make sure to read the specific requirements for the programmes you are applying for carefully.

Go to top


Can I send my English test result later?

The deadline for when documents and test results must have arrived is February 1th when applying in the January admissions round. Unfortunately no late documents or test results are accepted. All courses and programmes at Stockholm University require proof of proficiency in English and the admissions regulations at Stockholm University do not admit acceptance of applicants who do not fulfil the English requirement.

Go to top

Can I take preparatory English courses if I do not fulfil the English language requirement?

Stockholm University does unfortunately not offer preparatory courses in the English Language.

Go to top

What is the selection between applicants based on?

Stockholm University does not have a minimum GPA used for admission: If the number of applicants exceeds the number of places available, there is a selection process. Applicants are grouped into categories and then ranked on the basis of their qualifications. The highest-ranking candidates are admitted. For more information please visit the website of the respective course or programme.

For master’s programmes in business (only!) the selection is based on GMAT or GRE test scores. See next question.

Go to top

Do I need to submit a GMAT/GRE result?

Yes, if you apply for programmes in business.

GMAT/GRE is not a requirement for eligibility but a way to enhance your chances in the selection process if you apply for programmes in business. The admission of the study places is based on the GMAT-result or the GRE-result (GRE-results are converted to GMAT-scores). If there would be more study places than applicants with GMAT/GRE results the selection of applicants for the remaining study places is based on the number of academic credit points. This means that it is possible but very difficult to be accepted without a GMAT /GRE score.

Information on GMAT/GRE codes and how to submit your result

Go to top

How can I apply for a PhD?

Stockholm University has no central admission to postgraduate studies. Prospective research students wishing to join or work with us should contact the department(s) of interest directly. It is a good idea to contact the department to discuss your plans before you submit your formal application. This gives you an opportunity to form an idea of how research is carried out at the department, what projects are being conducted or planned for the future and if funding is available. List of departments at Stockholm University

Go to top

How do I become a teacher in Sweden?

On this website, Portal for the Teacher Education, you will find information regarding teacher education at Stockholm University. The information is relevant for prospective and current international students interested in teacher education.

Go to top


Am I required to pay application and tuition fees?

Students with citizenship in a country outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will be required to pay a 900 SEK (Swedish kronor) application fee as well as a tuition fee that will vary depending on the type of course or programme. The price per academic year for studies within the Humanities/Social Sciences/Law is SEK 90,000 and within the Sciences SEK 140,000. Some programmes have special prices in the range of SEK 90,000-140,000 and a few programmes offered in collaboration with other universities have higher tuition fees.

Students with citizenship in a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland
If you have citizenship in a EU or EEA country, or Switzerland, you are not required to pay application or tuition fees. You are instead required to provide University admissions with proof of your citizenship in order for your admissions application to be processed. Please note that having temporary or permanent residency in an EU/EEA country does NOT exempt you from paying fees, EU/EEA citizenship is required.

Students with citizenship in a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland

General criteria for tuition fee exemption
If you meet at least one of the criteria listed below, you do not have to pay application and tuition fees.

General criteria for tuition fee exemption

Go to top

How do I pay the application fee?

Instructions for students required to pay an application fee.

Go to top

How can I see the price for a specific course or programme?

When you search for a course or programme in the course catalogue you can see the price under "Tuition fee". If you'd like to know how much a certain amount of SEK is in your own currency, we suggest you use one of the currency converters available on the internet, such as XE Universal Currency Converter. Please note that these are approximations and that currencies change in value each and every day.

Go to top

When do I pay the first instalment of the tuition fee?

Students who are liable to pay the tuition fee will receive information on how to pay the tuition fee once they are admitted to a course or programme. The first instalment of the tuition fee must be paid in order for the Swedish Migration Agency to start processing your application for a resident permit for studies. You pay for one semester at the time in advance.

If the Migration Agency would not grant you a residence permit for studies, the tuition fee will be reimbursed in full.

Information on rules for payment of tuition fees

Go to top

Can I apply for a scholarship?

Information on scholarships

Go to top

Can I work alongside my studies? How do I find a job?

You’re allowed to work alongside your studies, there is no official regulation on number of hours.

Working in Sweden on

If you do want to work during your studies you need to find a job yourself, Stockholm University can unfortunately not provide students with part time jobs. Websites like Academic Work and StudentConsulting can be good places to look for postings on part time work. You can also join MyCareer - Europe’s largest career network for students. You use your university account to register.

If you are considering starting a company or selling your services in Sweden, you can find useful information for international entrepreneurs on 

Go to top

What's an average student budget in Sweden?

Living costs in Sweden

Go to top

I have been admitted, what happens now?

Please see the “admitted students” page which contains useful information for new students

Admitted students at Stockholm University

Go to top

How can I apply for a residence permit?

If you need a residence permit you can find information on required documentation and how to apply on The Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

Go to top

How do I apply for a Swedish personal identity number?

Please see the information on the page Swedish personal identity number

I have been admitted but want to postpone my studies – can I apply for deferral?

If there are extenuating circumstances a student admitted to a course or programme may apply for deferral of the commencement of their studies.

Application for deferral

Go to top

I have been offered a place but would like to decline it. What do I need to do?

It's important that you decline your place as soon as you know you will not be taking that course or programme as this makes the place available to applicants on the waiting list. In that case, you should decline your offer on your pages on

Go to top