Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Erasmus+ traineeship abroad

Are you interested in doing a traineeship abroad? As a student at Stockholm University you can apply to internships in order to do a traineeship, write an essay or collect data in a country that is included in the Erasmus programme.

From June 30th, we will begin to receive new applications for Erasmus internships to the following countries:
Belgium, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Luxembourg, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican City.

For updates, please see (in Swedish):

However, the start date of the internship must be no earlier than 1 September 2020.
From the time your application comes in, it usually takes 6 weeks to process it. During the summer, it might unfortunately take longer time. If your application needs supplements, we will contact you with further instructions.

New applications will be processed in the order they are received.

On this page, you will find more information about the different types of internships and how to apply.

Person walking in a Spanish village Photo: Hector Martinez/Unsplash

Different internships

There are three types of internships available:

Embedded in the curriculum

Internships that are a part of your programme, either in the form of an internship course or as your dissertation.

Credit: Higher education credit.


Internships that are not a part of your degree or studies, such as summer internships.

Credit: Diploma Supplement.

For recent graduates

Internships that are not a part of your studies and are done after you have finished your degree. During your final semester, you may apply to internships offered by Erasmus which must take place within 12 months after graduating. If you have already received your degree diploma, you are no longer eligible for taking part of this type of internship.

Credit: Recent graduate internship (no academic credit).

  • Full time internship abroad: at a company, organisation, or education and research facility in one of the Erasmus+ countries.
  • Data collection for an essay or dissertation: could, for example, be conducted at a company, school, clinic, lab, hospital or other, at full time.
  • Essay writing at a higher education institution: is usually considered as regular studies, though may be seen as an internship if there is no partnership deal between the department and Stockholm University.
  • Practicum internship: often seen as a part of teacher training, but occasionally as an internship (full time, 60 – 360 days).

In order to take part of the scholarship supported Erasmus+ internships abroad, you must:

  • Be a registered student at Stockholm University at the time of application.
  • Have the internship approved by your department as related to your studies.
  • Not have conducted an internship through Erasmus or been an exchange student at the same education cycle previously (cannot exceed 360 days).
  • Intend to graduate at Stockholm University (does not apply to ‘recent graduate’).
  • Take part of an internship full time according to you internship plan, Learning Agreement for Traineeship, in a country and place eligible to host internships (see below).
  • Take part of an internship in one single place continuously during at least 60 days, but no more than 360 days per education cycle.
  • Have the internship approved by your department as contributing to higher education credit or as a Diploma Supplement.
  • Sign a Grant Agreement for Erasmus+ before departing.
  • Complete an online language test, both before and after your internship.
  • Answer an online survey (Participant Report) when the internship is completed.
  • Not accept any scholarships from EU and Swedish Council of Higher Education at the same time.

Please note that the above terms are those of Erasmus+, and your department may have additional terms. In order to obtain further information about this and other opportunities, contact the exchange student coordinator at your department.

Exchange student coordinators at departments

Student in front of Eiffel tower, Paris

Students are awarded with the Erasmus+ scholarship on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis. If you wish to make sure there are funds left to apply for, please contact the Erasmus officer at

The amount you are eligible for through Erasmus+ is based on the country and length of your internship, as seen below.

Grants for traineeship with an end date before 2020-03-31

Group Countries €/month (= 30 days) €/day
Group 1 Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, United Kingdom 615 20,5
Group 2 & 3 Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, North Macedonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey 555 18,5


Grants for traineeship with an end date after 2020-03-31

Group  Countries €/month (= 30 days) €/day
Group 1 Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, United Kingdom 655 21,8
Group 2 & 3 Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, North Macedonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey 595 19,8


Scholarship payment

The scholarship will be disbursed in two turns. The first consists of 70 percent of your total scholarship sum. You will receive the final 30 percent after you have completed the internship, provided a certificate of attendance and returned home. You must also complete a second language test and fill out a form online to receive the remaining scholarship. The sum may then also be adjusted in case there were any alterations in the length of the internship along the way.

Increased scholarship for students with children

If you have children that will accompany you to the country of your internship, you may apply for an additional 200 euro per month.

Contact the coordinator at your department to learn more about this application

Disability support

If you have a disability which entails extra expenses during your internship, you may apply to have these expenses covered up to 100 percent. Expenses may include transportation, teaching aids, special accommodation, assistants, or medical assistance in the country of your internship.

Click here to access a checklist for Erasmus students with a disability

For more information about this application, contact the coordinator of your department

The United Kingdom is since 1 February 2020 no longer a member of the EU, which might affect future possibilities to do an Erasmus+ internship in the country. The withdrawal agreement foresees that the UK will continue to participate in current EU programmes until they end, as if they were an EU member state. Participation in the Erasmus+ after 2020 is dependent on the outcome of the negotiations between the EU and the UK which take place during the year. 

How to apply

Click here for a step-by-step guide on how to apply to an internship abroad 

All outgoing exchange students from Stockholm University are covered by the ‘Student UT’ insurance by Kammarkollegiet. If you are traveling within the EU or EEA you should also bring your European Health Insurance Card.

The ‘Student UT’ insurance includes:

  • Personal injury protection
  • Health and dental care
  • Home transport
  • Visits by family members
  • Disruption cover
  • Personal property protection (excess 1500 kronor)
  • Baggage delay
  • Cash assistance
  • Cover for crisis and disaster
  • Third party liability
  • Legal expenses

Please note that home insurance is not included.

The ‘Student UT’ insurance is free of charge and applies from two weeks before to two weeks after the exchange period within the host country. Before departure, you will receive a Medical Insurance Card (MIC) and/or an Insurance Certificate from your exchange coordinator.

It is recommended that you read through the terms and conditions of the insurance on Kammarkollegiet's website

Although you have insurance through Kammarkollegiet, some universities require that you also sign and pay for an insurance locally.


For all exchange studies abroad

On this page