Stockholm university

Exchange studies

Exchange studies are perfect for those who wish to explore the world. On this page, you will find what options there are for studying abroad and how to apply.

A student exchange means that two universities exchange students between them, thus there are no additional student fees. You are able to apply for either one or two semesters, and there is a possibility to receive a scholarship if you do your exchange within the programmes Erasmus+, Nordplus or north2north.

Stockholm University offers two different exchange and network possibilities: departmental and central/university-wide. Please note that the application processes differ between the two.

If you wish to know more about your possibility for international experience during your studies at Stockholm University, join one of our information sessions:

Information sessions about international mobility options

Contact and digital drop-in


Departmental agreements and networks

Many departments at Stockholm University have their own exchange agreements with universities around the world. These agreements are usually subject specific and aimed at students studying at the specific department. 

Read more about exchange studies through departmental agreements and networks

In our agreement portal, you can find out which partner universities your department has exchange agreements with:

Agreement portal

Departmental exchange programmes:

Erasmus+, with a scholarship

Nordplus, with a scholarship


Central (university-wide) agreements and networks

Find the exchange possibilities on a central level in our agreement portal:

Agreement portal

The following exchange programmes, agreements and networks are administrated on a central level:

Bilateral agreements

  • Exchange without a scholarship
  • If you wish participate an exchange outside of Europe
  • Calls for application

CIVIS Erasmus+

Nordlys Erasmus+


  • Exchange studies with possibility for a scholarship, see more on north2north
  • If you wish participate an exchange at universities and colleges around the Arctic Circle
  • Calls for application


An ornate facade in Bucharest.
Photo: Carp Jennifer/Unsplash

Practical information

Departmental agreements

The departmental admission requirements vary between departments. Please contact the international coordinator at your department for more information.

Find your departmental coordinator

Central agreements

The central agreement is non-departmental specific and can be applied to by any student at Stockholm University. In order to participate you must meet the admissions requirements.

Please note that some subjects are not included in the central agreement at each partner university. For more information about this, see the agreement database and in the details for each call for application.

See more about the admission requirements and selection criteria for the central (university-wide) agreements and networks:

Admission requirements

Selection criteria

If you are currently receiving disability support at Stockholm University, you may also receive this during your exchange.

If you believe you will need support during your exchange, consider:

  • Contacting the exchange coordinator at you department about opportunities available to you.
  • Should specific information be required, the exchange coordinator will contact the partner university of your exchange to find out what opportunities they offer.
  • For documentation confirming recommendations of your needed support, contact the Disability Services

Financial support through Erasmus

Students participating in an Erasmus exchange with permanent or long-term disabilities, including disabilities caused by physical or psychological illness or have additional costs due to the disability can apply for extra funding.

Checklist for students with a disability going on an exchange

Information on additional funding for students with disabilities

Below you will find useful information if your application for exchange studies has been accepted.

Useful information for outgoing exchange students

On this page