Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Exchange studies

Exchange studies are perfect for those who wish to explore the world. On this page, you will find what options there are for studying abroad and how to apply.

Here you find updated information about exchange/MFS with regards to the coronavirus situation:

Coronavirus - information for students about exchange/MFS

A student exchange means that two universities exchange students between them, thus there are no additional student fees. You are able to apply for either one or two semesters, and there is a possibility to receive a scholarship if you do your exchange within the programmes Erasmus+, Nordplus or north2north.

Stockholm University offers two different exchange and network possibilities: departmental and central/university-wide. Please note that the application processes differ between the two.

If you wish to know more about your possibility for international experience during your studies at Stockholm University, join one of our information sessions:

Find a list of all information sessions, Zoom- drop in, etc here


Departmental agreements and networks

The majority of the departments of Stockholm University have sister institutions at universities abroad. These agreements are often limited to a subject area, which you must study at the subject related department in order to apply. The individual departments decide on admission requirements, selection criteria and time frame for applications, and they therefore vary. This process and the departmental agreements are administered by the international coordinator at your department.

Database for all departmental student exchanges

Examples of departmental exchange programmes, agreements and networks:


Contact the international coordinator at your department for more information

Student taking notes in the mountains


Central (university-wide) agreements and networks

Central agreements, that are on a general university level, can be applied to regardless of your specific department. These agreements are signed with universities outside of Europe, which currently are in North America, South America (including Jamaica), Asia, the Middle East (Israel) and Oceania. The central agreements and networks are administered by the Student Services.

Database for all central student exchanges

Central exchange programmes, agreements and networks:

CIVIS Erasmus+


Nordlys Erasmus+

The departmental admission requirements vary between departments. Please contact the international coordinator at your department for more information.

Click here to find the departmental coordinators

The central agreement is non-departmental specific and can be applied to by any student at Stockholm University. In order to participate you must:

  • Meet the admission requirements.
  • Be a student at Stockholm University at the time of application.
  • Be able to transfer credits to Stockholm University after the exchange.
  • Intend to graduate at Stockholm University.

Please note that some subjects are not included in the central agreement at each partner university. For more information about this, see the agreement database.

Student with camera in sunset

Apply for exchange studies through your department. For more information, contact your exchange coordinator.

Departmental exchange coordinators

Apply for exchange studies through the university-wide (central) agreements following these steps:

Step-by-step application to university-wide agreements

Please note that you are only able to apply when applications open.


Calls for application

Click here to see which applications are currently open

Students at Stockholm University taking part in exchange studies are able to apply to several scholarships. Click the links below to read more on how to apply to the available scholarships; however, please note that you are only able to apply once your exchange has been accepted.

Scholarships offered by Stockholm University:

If you are currently receiving disability support at Stockholm University, you may also receive this during your exchange.

If you believe you will need support during your exchange, consider:

  • Contacting the exchange coordinator at you department about opportunities available to you.
  • Should specific information be required, the exchange coordinator will contact the partner university of your exchange to find out what opportunities they offer.
  • For documentation confirming recommendations of your needed support, contact the student disability coordinator. 
  • For information about opportunities for studies and internships abroad, Independent Living Institute provides an international guide and database.
  • For more information about work in Nordic countries regarding disabilities, go to Nordens Värlfärdscenter’s website.

Financial support through Erasmus

If your exchange is through Erasmus, there is a possibility to apply to receive financial support if you require pedagogical, physical or other support due to your disability. This is subject to the cost of needed support that is outstanding what the higher education institution of your exchange offers, such as transportation aid, teaching aids, accommodation arrangements, assistants, or medical assistance.

For more information about how to apply, contact the international coordinator at your department

Checklist for students with a disability going on an exchange

Below you will find useful information if your application for exchange studies has been accepted.

Useful information for outgoing exchange students



For all exchange studies abroad

On this page