Stockholm university

Swedish personal identity number

Students who are staying in Sweden for more than a year must apply for an official Swedish personal identity number. All students who don’t already have a Swedish ID number are assigned a temporary number by the university.


Interim personal identity number (T-number)

If you do not already have a Swedish personal identity number, the university will assign you a T-number so you can register for courses. Exchange students get a T-number from their host department and international students can see their T-number at on their notification of selection results. 

The T-number can only be used at Stockholm University. If you are studying in Sweden for longer than one year, apply for a Swedish personal identity number.


Swedish personal identity number (Personnummer)

International students who study in Sweden for 12 months or longer must apply for a Swedish personal identity number (“personnummer” in Swedish) at the Swedish Tax Agency (“Skatteverket” in Swedish). The personal identity number is a 4-digit number following your date of birth in the format: YYMMDD-XXXX. Registration must be done in person at one of the tax agency offices and you must bring a different set of documents, depending on your country of citizenship.

Visit Skatteverket’s “Moving to Sweden” website for the precise details on how to apply. To ensure that your visit to the service office goes as quickly and as smoothly as possible, you should use the "Move to Sweden" service before your visit. 

Move to Sweden 

The required documents to bring to the service office depend on your citizenship or if you move with or move in with a family member. The following is an indication of what documents might be required:

  • Valid passport (or national ID for EU/EEA students)
  • Letter of Acceptance/Notification of Selection (download from
  • Your address in Sweden including apartment number
  • For EU/EEA students: Registration Certificate/Proof of Enrolment (download from My studies)
  • For EU/EEA students: the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • For non-EU/EEA and Swiss students: Information regarding your residence permit: UT card and decision

Additional documentation might be required; consult the Skatteverket website.

Once you are registered at the Swedish Tax Agency it is important that you replace your interim personal identity number (”T-number”) with the new Swedish personal identity number in the University study-administration system, Ladok.

There are two ways of updating your personal number in Ladok:

  • Bring the official paper (“Personbevis”) that you get from Skatteverket or your official Swedish ID-card to Infocenter, or
  • Scan and send a copy of the Personbevis/ID-card as an attached pdf-file directly to:

Students with a Swedish personal identity number have the legal duty to report changes of address within Sweden to the Swedish Tax Agency so that your address is correct in the population register. Reporting your change of address is free of charge and can be done quickly and easily using the Tax Agency's e-service.

How to report a change of address


If you leave Sweden in order to live abroad for one year or more, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency at least one week before departure. Should you cancel or postpone your departure, notify the Swedish Tax Agency no later than the previously stated date of departure. If you forget to submit the notification on time, send it as soon as possible.

In order to notify the Swedish Tax Agency that you are moving abroad, download the form:

Notification, Moving Abroad SKV 7665

Be sure to fill in as much information as possible, as it will ease the handling of your notification.

Read more on the Skatteverket website


Webinars with the Swedish Tax Agency

The Swedish Tax Agency offers webinars in English for anyone who is planning to move to Sweden to study or to work at a Swedish university. Visit the website and check the box “Seminars in English” to find available dates and sign up.


FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact

On this page