Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Visas and residence permits

Before you come to Sweden, make sure that you have the correct documentation.

Visa or residence permit?

International and exchange students from outside the EU/EEA who are admitted for studies lasting longer than three months must apply for a residence permit for studies (“uppehållstillstånd” in Swedish).

For studies shorter than three months, an entry visa is required for citizens from certain countries.

List of foreign citizens who require Visa for entry into Sweden

You apply for a residence permit at Migrationsverket, the Swedish Migration Agency. On their website, you will find a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the first time. 

How to apply for a residence permit for studies

A residence permit is normally granted for one year at a time. Extension of a residence permit must be done before the existing residence permit expires. Please be aware that the waiting time when applying for extension of a residence permit might be long. You are however entitled to stay in Sweden while the permit is being processed.

Extending a resi­dence permit for studies 

Outbound exchange studies

Among other requirements, students must be admitted to full-time studies in a higher education programme, which requires their presence in Sweden, in order to be able to obtain a residence permit in Sweden. Exchange studies that are conducted at another university, outside Sweden, do not fulfil the full-time studies requirement for a residence permit. 

If you plan to do one or more semesters of exchange studies during your programme at Stockholm University, you should only apply for a residence permit for the time you plan to study in Sweden. During the exchange semester you might need a residence permit in the country where you are going to study. In this case you should contact the authorities in that country to find out what is required.

If you have a residence permit for studies at a university or other higher education institution in Sweden and have completed your studies, you can get a residence permit for 12 months to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here. You must apply for a residence permit while you are still in Sweden and before your current permit for studies expires.

Residence permit to seek employment or start business after studies

EU/EEA citizens who are registered students at a Swedish university and have comprehensive health insurance automatically have right of residence in Sweden, and therefore do not need to apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency

Swiss citizens who are admitted for studies lasting more than three months must apply for a residence permit. You do not need to wait for your application to be processed and can begin studying immediately.


Nordic citizens do not need a residence permit.

FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact

On this page