Personal identification number

All students who don’t already have a Swedish ID number are assigned a temporary number by the university. Students who are staying in Sweden for more than a year must apply for an official Swedish personnummer.

If you do not already have a Swedish personnummer, the university will assign you a T-number so you can register for courses. Exchange students get a T-number from their host department and international students can see their T-number at on their notification of selection results. 

The T-number can only be used at Stockholm University. If you are studying in Sweden for longer than one year, apply for a personnummer.

Students staying in Sweden for more than one year must apply for a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). You apply through the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

Visit Skatteverket’s “Moving to Sweden” website for the precise details on how to apply. In general, you fill out their form, print it, and then go to the Tax Office with the form and all required documentation. This includes:

  • Valid passport (or national ID for EU/EEA students)
  • Letter of Acceptance/Notification of Selection (download from
  • Your address in Sweden including apartment number
  • For EU/EEA students: Registration Certificate/Proof of Enrolment (download from My studies)
  • For non-EU/EEA and Swiss students: Information regarding you residence permit: UT card and decision

Additional documentation might be required; consult the Skatteverket website.

Reporting a change of address

Once you have a personnummer, you are required to notify Skatteverket when you change address or move out of Sweden.

If you leave Sweden in order to live abroad for one year or more, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency at least one week before departure. Should you cancel or postpone your departure, notify the Swedish Tax Agency no later than the previously stated date of departure. If you forget to submit the notification on time, send it as soon as possible.

In order to notify the Swedish Tax Agency that you are moving abroad, download the form:

Notification, Moving Abroad SKV 7665

Be sure to fill in as much information as possible, as it will ease the handling of your notification.

Read more on the Skatteverket website

FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact

New student