Visas and residence permits

Before you come to Sweden, make sure that you have the correct documentation.

EU/EEA citizens who are registered students at a Swedish university and have comprehensive health insurance automatically have right of residence in Sweden, and therefore do not need to apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency

Swiss citizens who are admitted for studies lasting more than three months must apply for a residence permit. You do not need to wait for your application to be processed and can begin studying immediately.


Nordic citizens do not need a residence permit.

International and exchange students from outside the EU/EEA who are admitted for studies lasting longer than three months must apply for a residence permit (“uppehållstillstånd” in Swedish). For studies shorter than three months, an entry visa is required for citizens from certain countries. Application for a residence permit can under no circumstances be submitted after entering Sweden. The responsible authority is the Swedish Migration Board (“Migrationsverket” in Swedish). Please visit their website for details regarding the application process and application forms:

Residence Permit Requirements

To be granted a residence permit you must intend to study and:

  • Be admitted to full-time studies that require full-time attendance (distance courses do not fulfil the requirements).
  • Have applied for comprehensive health insurance that covers the whole period you are in Sweden if you plan to study for less than one year. Note that all fee-paying students at Stockholm University are covered by FAS. Read more about the Insurance.
  • Be able to support yourself for the planned study period. You must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that you will have a guaranteed sum of at least SEK 8,514 per month at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies when you apply for a residence permit.
  • Have a valid passport.

Extending a Residence Permit

A residence permit is normally granted for one year at a time. Extension of a residence permit must be done before the existing residence permit expires. Please be aware that the waiting time when applying for extension of a residence permit might be very long. You are entitled to stay in Sweden while the permit is being processed.

More information can be found on the Migration Board’s website:

Residence permit to seek employment or start business after studies

If you have a residence permit for studies at a university or other higher education institution in Sweden and have completed your studies, you can get a residence permit for 12 months to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here. You must apply for a residence permit while you are still in Sweden and before your current permit for studies expires.

FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact


New student