Stockholm university logo, link to start page


Students at Stockholm University are covered by different insurances depending on their student status. Make sure you know which category you belong to and pay attention to coverage and restrictions.

All students studying in Sweden are covered by the Swedish State’s general student insurance, provided by “Kammarkollegiet”. The insurance applies during school hours and during travel to and from the location where school hours are spent.

Stockholm University strongly recommends all students to also have a complete insurance coverage to avoid extreme costs for incidents that might occur during off-campus activities.

Carefully consider which level of insurance you need and pay particular attention to any restrictions and exclusions. 

Personal injury insurance for university students in Sweden

If you’re a citizen of any of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, you should register for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your home country before coming to Sweden. This card gives you the right to medical care at the same cost as Swedes. Remember to always bring the card when seeking medical care. 

If you’re not able to receive your EHIC before leaving home due to long waiting times, you can request a temporary certificate from the same office in your home country that issues the EHIC. If you don’t obtain an EHIC in your home country, you’ll need to arrange your own insurance coverage to cover costs, as medical care without insurance can be very expensive. However, you always have access to emergency care.

Staying more than one year?

If you will be staying in Sweden for more than a year, you should register with the Swedish Tax Agency for a personal identity number. You will need to show your European Health Insurance Card when you apply for your personal identity number.

Once you have received your personal identity number, you will be entitled to all healthcare services and pay Swedish patient fees.

Swedish personal identification number 

EU/EEA students with double citizenship 

If you can’t obtain an EHIC in your home country, for example because you have double citizenship and you’re not a resident in your EU/EEA country of citizenship, you are covered by the Student IN insurance, provided by “Kammarkollegiet”. To obtain an insurance certificate please contact The Insurance is not accepted by the Swedish Tax Agency for registration in the Swedish Population Register, but enables the student to receive compensation for emergency medical and dental care according to the conditions for Student IN insurance. 

Are you an exchange student?

If you are an exchange student, you are also covered by the Student-IN for coverage regarding, for example, property and liability. Please find more information below. 

Exchange students at Stockholm University are covered by Student-IN, the Swedish State’s insurance for exchange students in Sweden, provided by “Kammarkollegiet”.

The insurance applies during direct travel between the home country and Sweden, during the period of education in Sweden, as well as two weeks before the start of study and two weeks after the end of study. Individual insurance is valid during the agreed insurance period. 

Note that the insurance only applies while in Sweden. If you study your exchange courses online from your home country please be advised to look for your own insurance coverage. 

This insurance provides coverage for:

  • disability and death benefits 
  • medical and dental care 
  • home transport 
  • personal property coverage 
  • third party liability 
  • legal expenses 

This insurance does not apply to the extent the insured may receive compensation from another insurance. If you need to see a doctor and this insurance applies to you:

  • Visit public health service and pay the fees. 
  • Contact your coordinator at Stockholm University and complete a claim form. 
  • Return the form to the coordinator together with all original receipts and a refund will be made.

Student-IN for exchange students in Sweden

Are you a citizen of an EU/ EEA country or Switzerland?

Exchange students who are citizens and current residents of an EU/ EEA country or Switzerland should bring their European Health Insurance Card, issued by the social insurance office in their home country.

Please see the information provided above for EU/EEA/Swiss/Nordic Citizens. 

All fee-paying students studying on-campus at Stockholm University are covered by "FAS - The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students".


The insurance covers emergency medical and dental care and is valid 24 hours per day:

  • during the study period at Stockholm University (according to the registration in LADOK)
  • 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after the study period
  • during direct travel to/from your home country
  • in the Schengen area (for Schengen visa holders; for others valid only in Sweden)

Please note that the insurance covers “emergency” medical and dental care. See the terms and conditions for more information and the definition of “emergency” care.

Terms and conditions FAS

When applying for a residence permit

The FAS Insurance is accepted by the Swedish Migration Agency as a compre­hen­sive healt­h­ insu­rance. Note that your Notification of Selection Results (that you can download from can be used as an insurance certificate, when applying for the residence permit at the Migration Agency (only students studying for less than one year will be required to upload the document to the Swedish Migration Agency).

'Terms & Conditions' for FAS

Household insurance not included

Since personal property is not covered by the FAS insurance, students are recommended to sign up for a private household insurance.

Some Swedish insurance companies:

Only students with a Swedish personnummer will be able to get a household insurance from a Swedish insurance company. Students without a Swedish personnummer are recommended ​​​​​to sign up for a private household insurance in their home country.

When visiting a doctor

Remember to keep the paid receipts when visiting a doctor in order to be able to claim a reimbursement. If you are issued an invoice, the fee can also be paid directly by Kammarkollegiet. Submit the invoice promptly together with the claim form (more information below).

On the Stockholm Student Health Services website, you will find general information about public healthcare in Stockholm

General information about public healthcare

Submitting a claim

Follow these steps in order to submit a claim:
1.    Fill out the claim form provided by Kammarkollegiet (you do not need to print and sign) 
2.    Take a photo of your receipts (if not electronic receipts)
3.    Email the claim form together with receipts to Stockholm University at Stockholm University will then email the documents to Kammarkollegiet directly. Note: Kammarkollegiet do not need the original receipts at this stage. However keep the original receipts for at least six months as follow ups by Kammarkollegiet can occur at a later date. 

The claim form must be submitted within three years from the date of the incident.

Apply for a Swedish personal number

If you have a residence permit valid for a period of more than one year, you can register with the Swedish Tax Agency for a personal identity number. Once you have received your number, you will be entitled to all healthcare services and pay only the standard patient fees (the fee for medical care in public healthcare is 200 - 250 SEK). If you are covered by the FAS insurance, the patient fee can be refunded by doing a claim to Kammarkollegiet.

Swedish personal identity number


If you have any questions about FAS do not hesitate to contact Student Services by emailing or visiting the Infocenter.

Students holding a Swedish Institute scholarship are covered by an insurance for foreign visitors, provided by “Kammarkollegiet”. 

More information about the insurance policy provided


FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact

On this page