Living costs

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. A sample monthly budget is as follows:

Food 2,000 SEK                          
Accomodation 4700 SEK
Local travel 590 SEK
Telephone/internet 300 SEK
Hobby/leisure, miscellaneous 1,450 SEK


Lunch at a student restaurant on or around campus usually costs between SEK 70-100; at an average café or restaurant, about SEK 65-95. Dinner starts at around SEK 100-150, drinks not included. In most restaurants and bars, an inexpensive beer or glass of wine will cost about SEK 60; prices can be significantly lower at student unions or nations.

A guaranteed sum of money is a residence permit requirement

Some students will need to apply for a residence permit before arriving in Sweden. For more information about visas see:

When applying for a residence permit, you must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The amount, SEK 8,010 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Migration Board. If you wish to bring your family you must show that you have at your disposal an additional SEK 3,500 per month for your spouse and SEK 2,100 per month per child.

Study materials

It may be sometimes necessary to buy materials for the course or study programme. Information on these costs is available via individual departments at the University.  Departments at Stockholm University

Grants and loans

Grants and students loans are only available, via Swedish National Board of Student Aid (CSN), to those students who meet the relevant criteria. General information in English on the rules for entitlement for this kind of funding is available from CSN's website. Information about CSN funding in English.

Rules and information on CSN funding, written specifically for students visiting from outside of Sweden, are also available on CSN's website. CSN funding for non-Swedish citizens

Tuition Fees and Scholarships

Application and tuition fees are required for some students who apply for studies, and study in Sweden. In general, individuals who are citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees. Information about application and tution fees
Some scholarships are available for students from outside of the EU/EEA and who wish to study a master’s programme in Sweden. Information about scholarships

Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Federal School Code

Stockholm University is currently not accredited with the United States Department of Education Federal Student Aid (FAFSA or FSA). However, the University is in the process of applying for accreditation for “eligibility-only” status. Though this will not enable American students to apply for Federal Student Aid (FSA) programmes to subsidize their education at Stockholm University, it will enable American students to defer loan payments during their time studying at the University.