You show that the behaviour is inappropriate, you should tell someone about the harassments and make a note of when, where and how you were harassed. You should contact the Security Unit if you think you are being threatened or stalked.

1. Tell someone if you think their behaviour is inappropriate
Tell the person that you feel that their behaviour is inappropriate. You could say something along the lines of “Stop! I don’t like you doing/saying that.” If you do not wish to talk to the person you think is harassing you, you can instead write a letter or an e-mail (remember to save copies). You can also ask someone else to talk to your harasser. It can be the head of department, teacher or someone else who you have confidence in.

2. Tell someone about the harassment
As a student, you have the right to be in a study environment that is free from insulting and offensive behaviour. By telling the university about a case of harassment, you allow it to stop the harassments and prevent them from recurring.

Contact your head of department, director of studies or another employee at the department who you have confidence in. If you are not comfortable about talking to someone at the department you can turn to the university’s coordinator for equal opportunities. You will find more information under ‘Who to contact in the event of harassment or discrimination’. If the insults are related to a disability you are also welcome to turn to the Service for students with disabilities.

3. Keep a journal of all the harassments and save copies of all correspondence
If you write down the chain of the events, you can give a clear picture of your experience of the harassment. Otherwise the events may get confused, making it difficult to remember exactly where and when they occurred. Your notes may also be source document for an investigation according to the law on the equal treatment of students or for a police report. The same applies to all letters, e-mail messages, SMS and other correspondence with the person who you think has harassed you.

4. Harassment that includes threats or stalking
If the harassment takes the form of stalking or you feel as if your personal safety is under threat, you should contact the Security Unit at the university. They can perform a risk analysis, help you file a police report and provide you with some advice and protection in the event of threats or in other vulnerable situations. The Security Unit can also be reached by phone at: 16 22 16 (on-call); in an emergency: 16 42 00 (security company).

5. Support from the Stockholm Student Health Unit
Being the object of harassment usually entails great deal of psychological strain. The Stockholm Student Health Unit provides counselling which can be booked during telephone hours. Visit the website for current telephone hours and information:

6. The student union can help you
The student union can give you advice and support during an investigation, and can take part in meetings, etc. Student Union representatives can also file a report to the university and report cases of harassment or maladministration at a department or unit. In the student union there is also Gaystudenterna (gay students association), Jämlikhetsnätverket (equal treatment network) and other associations. Visit the Stockholm University student union’s website: or phone its reception at tel. 674 62 00.

7. Support via helplines
You can also get support from various non-profit or municipal helplines. Here are some examples:

Kvinnofridslinjen (national helpline for women):
Alla kvinnors hus (AKH):
Manscentrum (crisis centre for men):
The Swedish Federation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights (RFSL Stockholm) - counsellor, crime victims’ hotline, etc.:
The National Organisation for Women’s Shelters and Young Women's Shelters in Sweden (ROKS):
The Swedish Association of Women’s Shelters and Young Women’s Empowerment Centres (Unizon):

The City of Stockholm has compiled a section containing details about more support and crisis helplines, including contact details to Kriscentrum för kvinnor (crisis centre for women): support and crisis helplines: