The investigation should always be conducted by the university’s Coordinator for Equal Treatment. Investigative responsibility applies both if you feel you have been insulted by an employee or another student.

An investigation is conducted as follows:
1. Reporting
You do not need to make a formal report. It is sufficient that you tell a representative of the university that the harassment, in your opinion, is covered by the Discrimination Act and was connected with your studies here at the university. Each university shall investigate cases that take place within their own academic jurisdictions. To communicate your experience of the harassment as clearly as possible, you should write down what happened and state how the harassment was consistent with the definition in the Discrimination Act, see Which forms of harassment are covered by the Discrimination Act? You can also get help from the student union  with writing your report.

2. Investigation work
The investigation shall be conducted by the Coordinator for Equal Treatment. The person in charge will keep you and other involved parties informed about the progress of the investigation and the university’s decision. Normally, the people who are reported for harassment are contacted so they can give their version of the events. This can take the form of a meeting (interview) or a written statement. The investigation shall be factual and objective.

The person in charge should listen to your requests about how to handle the case and which steps should be taken, if any. You should also contact the student union who can provide help and advise you during the investigation. The student representatives can also accompany you to meetings, etc. You can request the investigation to be stopped at any time. The university will not investigate cases of harassment against the victim’s will if it causes them further personal humiliation. If the investigation is stopped, the university shall nevertheless take steps to prevent the harassment from continuing, although the possibilities for taking steps will be limited if they are not based on the event in question.

The investigation shall result in a decision in which the university concludes whether or not the matter is harassment in the legal sense. It is important to remember that the university takes your experience of being harassed takes seriously, even if the incident turns out to be within the boundaries of the law.

The investigation can take a long time if, for example, the person in charge needs to obtain additional statements from other people or units. As cases of harassment often entail a deep personal humiliation, you are advised to contact the Stockholm Student Health Unit for support while the investigation is in progress and, if necessary, for a period thereafter. You can also ask for support from the department during the investigation period and meet the director of studies, study guidance counsellor or other appropriate person on a regular basis.

3. Conclusion and follow-up
If investigation concludes that there has been no harassment in the legal sense, you will be notified thereof in writing. If you are dissatisfied with the investigation or university’s decision you can contact the Discrimination Ombudsman, DO. DO is both a supervisory authority for equal treatment issues and an instance where you can refer a case of discrimination to the district court.

If the investigation concludes that harassment has occurred/is occurring, steps need to be taken to bring it to an end. The university may take disciplinary measures such as suspension from studies at the university if the harasser is another student. This will be handled by the Disciplinary Council. If the harasser is an employee, the result may be a warning, salary deduction or relocation.

Even if harassment is established, you will receive written notification about the decision and which steps have or will be taken. Some decisions regarding employees may be confidential.

It is always the Vice-Chancellor that decides in cases concerning the Discrimination Act.

You can also report a case of harassment to the police. You can get help with filing a police report, advice and certain protection if you have been threatened from the Section for Safety and Security. (Read more under If you have been harassed).
The department shall follow up to make sure that the harassments have ceased. If the harassments continue the department shall immediately refer the matter to the Disciplinary Council, which will suspend the harasser, or corresponding Human Resources Office if the harasser is an employee. It is therefore vital that you tell someone if the harassments continue.

Reprisals are prohibited. The university treats very seriously all cases of students being subjected to discrimination or harassment as a result of them reporting a case of harassment. Immediately contact the person in charge of the investigation, head of the department or the university’s Coordinator for Equal Treatment if you feel you been subjected to reprisals.