Minor Field Studies

Minor Field Studies (MFS) is a Sida-funded scholarship programme administrated by the Swedish Council for Higher Education

MFS mean that students who are reaching the end of their Bachelor’s or Master’s degree can gather material for their degree essay on-site, in a developing country. MFS means that a student studies issues of importance to economic, social, political or knowledge-based development in the country he or she travels to for at least eight weeks.

An MFS study can be done in all academic fields, from the humanities and social sciences to natural science, engineering and medicine. One aim of the programme is to prepare students for work in global contexts and organisations.

An MFS student receives a stipend of 27,000 SEK to cover some of the costs of the overseas stay.

The scholarship programme prepare students to work within development. It is recommended thet the field research relate to one of the 17 Global Goals and the Agenda 2030.   

Link to General terms Minor Field Studies 2018 (in Swedish) 

Possible host countries

An MFS-study can be implemented in a developing country that is presented in the list Possible MFS-countries 2018.

Note, MFS can not be implemented in a country to which the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs dissuades travels (in Swedish).

MFS-travel reports

Find inspiration in other students MFS-experiences, read their travel reports here (mainly in Swedish). 


If you have questions or concerns, please contact International Office, mfs@su.se. If your question is about your project, contact your home Department directly. 

To Application requirements