Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Influence your education

Do you want to influence your education? As a student, there are a number of things you can do. You can, for instance, vote in the student union election, join a student or doctoral council, become a student representative or exercise your influence through course evaluations.

Student influence is also an important part of Stockholm University's quality work. For example, the university conducts systematic reviews of all courses and programmes to ensure their quality.

Read more about the university’s quality work


A student union represents the students at Stockholm University. Each spring semester, a union election is held to give members of Stockholm University's Student Union the opportunity to exercise influence over their studies. The union  election also determines how many members each union party gets in the union council , which is the student union's highest decision-making body. By voting, the members influence who will lead the union in the coming year and thus which issues the union will raise at the university.

Read more about the student union election

The student union has a meeting. Photo: Stockholm University Student Union
Photo: Stockholm University Student Union



Student councils

By joining the student council at your department, you gain influence over your education. The student council consists of students at the same department or section who have organised themselves in order to improve their education. The councils belong to the student union but decide for themselves what to focus on and how they want to work.

Read more about student councils

PhD student councils

PhD student councils at the various departments are open to all interested PhD students. The councils monitor PhD student issues at their own department and elect representatives for the PhD students on the department's board. Through PhD advice, PhD students can influence their education and gain better insight into the university's activities.

Read more about PhD student councils

A student council meeting. Photo: José Luna de Azevedo
Photo: José Luna de Azevedo



According to the Higher Education Act, there must be student representatives in all preparatory and decision-making bodies and groups that handle questions about the university's courses and programmes or the students' or doctoral students' study situation. For example, students have the right to be represented in the groups that systematically review the university's courses and programmes.

Support during the assignment

You will receive support from both the university and the student union during the assignment. As a student representative, you also receive financial compensation per meeting. As a doctoral student representative, you will instead receive an extension of your employment. Once you have been a representative, a certificate of your position of trust can be issued, which you can then use in your CV.

List of bodies and groups

The list below contains examples of the bodies and groups in which students have the right to be represented and the number of "student places".

2021 års förteckning över studentrepresentation i stadigvarande organ och grupper vid SU (176 Kb)  (document in Swedish)

Read more in the university's rules for student influence

If you have questions about student representation, please contact Stockholm University's Student Union at

If you are a student at the Department of Computer and Systems Science, please contact the Student Union DISK at


Each student has the right to make a course evaluation in connection with completing the course. Course evaluations are an important opportunity for you as a student to influence your education, and also a part of the university's work with the quality of education. Filling out the course evaluation is also a responsibility that students have, so that the university can change things that can be improved. When the teachers have analysed the students' answers, you will receive a course report that contains the teachers' analysis of the answers and suggestions for changes for future courses.

Read more in the university's rules on course evaluations (section 1.5 in Rules for education and examination at first-cycle and second-cycle level)

If you have questions about a course evaluation, please contact the responsible teacher.


As an individual student, you can submit complaints about your education to e.g. the director of studies or head of department at your department.

Read more in the university's procedure for handling complaints

A woman talks at a meeting. Photo: Unsplash


On this page