Interpreting for Persons with Deafblindness, 15 credits

About the education

No description found.

Subject: Translation Studies

Translation Studies

Do you want to become an interpreter or a translator? Then sign up for a course or a programme in Translation Studies (which comprises interpreting as well as translation) at the Institute for Interpreting and Translation Studies/Tolk- och översättarinstitutet (TÖI). What is the difference between an interpreter and a translator? Interpreters work with oral communication and there are different kinds of interpreters: conference interpreters often work in the EU or the UN, public service interpreters help people communicate with the authorities, and sign language interpreters mediate spoken Swedish and Swedish sign language in various contexts. Working as an interpreter is varied and stimulating, but it can also be taxing and calls for good general knowledge, good language skills, speed, flexibility and a very high ability to concentrate. At the undergraduate level, you can take freestanding courses up to the Bachelor level. TÖI also offers a Bachelor Programme in Sign Language and Interpreting in collaboration with the Department of Linguistics, and TÖI offers a Master’s Programme in Interpreting as well. Translators, on the other hand, work with written communication. Technical or specialised translators translate texts in the areas of engineering, IT, law, economics, medicine and advertising among others. Audiovisual translators work with texts for the cinema or television. Literary translators mediate literary texts. To become a good translator, you need broad general knowledge, good language skills and a very high ability to express yourself in writing, and you also need to be conscientious. At the undergraduate level, you can take freestanding courses in translation up to the Bachelor level. TÖI also offers a Bachelor Programme in Language and Translation in collaboration with various language departments, and TÖI offers a Master’s Programme in Translation as well. Since 2013, there is also a Doctoral Programme in Translation Studies at TÖI.


Many conference interpreters, public service interpreters and translators work as freelancers. Sign language interpreters are often employed by interpreter centres at county councils. Technical or specialised translators are engaged by public authorities as well as private companies. Literary translators are engaged by publishers and audiovisual translators are mainly engaged by various media companies.


You can get a Bachelor’s Degree in Translation Studies by taking freestanding courses amounting to at least 90 credits, combined with 90 credits in other subjects, including at least 60 credits in one language. You can also enrol in a programme:

•     Bachelor’s Programme in Sign Language and Interpreting, 180 credits

•     Bachelor’s Programme in Language and Translation, 180 credits

•     Master’s Programme in Interpreting, 120 credits

•     Master’s Programme in Translation, 120 credits

Please note that the courses and programmes at TÖI require well-documented high proficiency in Swedish.

Area of interest: Language and Linguistics

Languages open doors to other cultures, experiences, business contacts and collaboration between countries. At Stockholm University you can study nearly 30 different languages. You can also delve into more theoretical subjects such as Linguistics and Bilingualism.

Language and Linguistics studies can lead to a large variety of professions within teaching, research and industry, the public sector, trade and tourism, and other areas.