The employer can grant leave for various reasons. You are entitled to some types of leave, but other types are given if they can be accommodated. Types of leave that you are entitled to include: study leave, parental leave, and leave for care of loved ones and urgent family matters.

4.1. Leave in General

The employer can grant you leave for different reasons. You are entitled to some leave of absence and you have an absolute right to leave for: studies, certain parental leave, to provide care to a person with whom you have a close relationship and who is so severely ill that his/her life is in danger, urgent family circumstances and if you have a position abroad. Other leaves of absence can be granted if it does not cause any inconvenience to the work.

If you are permanently employed at the university, you have the right to leave from your position if you are asked to work at another public institution if you are going to work temporary at a government agencyon a temporary basis. This leave cannot exceed 2 years. The right is only valid for a full-time leave. For part-time leave, you and your direct supervisor must come to an understanding.For part time-leave, you and your direct supervisor must come to an understanding.

If you are permanently employed and wish to try another position, the employer can approve leave for a maximum of 6 months. If you are permanently employed and wish to try another position, the employer can approve leave for a maximum of 6 months.

About the decision
According to the procedural rules, the dean or equivalent decides about leave. The vice chancellor makes decisions on professorial leaves lasting longer than one year.

The decision has two parts. One part concerns whether to grant leave and the other concerns compensation during the leave. Human Resources makes the decision about salary during a leave of absence. Both parts of the decision are connected. Therefore, it’s important for the person granting the leave to consult with Human Resources about compensation before making the decision. This ensures that the employee receives consistent information.

4.2. Leave with salary

When the employer has granted an employee leave according to Leave Regulations (1984:111) or another ruling, the employee has the right to salary without deductions in the following circumstances:

  • Matters within the family (see clarification below) for time needed, but no more than 10 workdays per year
  • Moving, one workday (registered address)
  • Central union representative duties, no more than 10 workdays per year
  • Exams (during workhours), no more than five workdays per year
  • Medical visits, examinations or treatments by a doctor, physical therapist, occupational therapist, outpatient care, blood donation, or if you are pregnant maternity care.
  • Emergency dental visits or examinations/treatments with a dentist’s referral

If you are granted leave and the reasons are covered by the university guidelines listed above, nothing is deducted from your salary. Leave for any part of the day is counted as a whole-day leave. For doctor visits and the like, the appointment should be made as close to the beginning or end of workhours as possible.

Clarification of “Matters within the family”
Employees of Stockholm University can receive paid leave for matters within the family for a maximum ten days per year, travel included.

The basic principle for paid leave at Stockholm University is that one day is granted for each of the events described below. Necessary travel time during workhours should also be taken into consideration. In practice, this means one day for the event itself and two travel days (there and back) for travel outside of the Stockholm area.

  • Cases of serious illness. One day when the employee’s immediate presence is required such as an acute illness or injury (that could not be predicted or planned), or at a deathbed.
  • Funeral and burial. One day for the funeral, one day for the burial.
  • Probate and inheritance. One day to sign for the estate or inheritance.
  • Death. One day in connection with the death.

Definition of “family” under this regulation

  • Spouse, partner or registered partner
  • Children or partner’s children
  • Grandchildren
  • Parents, stepparents or parents-in-law
  • Grandparents
  • Siblings, step-siblings, half-siblings, nieces and nephews
  • Aunts and uncles
  • Daughter- or son-in-law
  • Sister- or brother-in-law

Unpaid Leave

There are many other circumstances in which an employee might want leave and for which leave can be granted, but either as unpaid leave or as vacation time, flex time, or as compensatory leave for overtime.

Examples of reasons to take unpaid leave:

  • Grieving a death
  • Close friend’s funeral
  • Executing an estate
  • Preparation for burial
  • Emptying a residence
  • Moving a loved one
  • Visiting a loved one to help with housing or medical issues
  • Accompanying a loved one on doctor visits
  • Birthday celebration

There is also something called “care of loved ones”/“compensation for loved ones.” In these cases, Försäkringskassan makes the decision about compensation and pays it. The employer takes a full salary deduction. The employee has the right to leave to the extent and for the time over which Försäkringskassan pays compensation. Read more at Försäkringskassan.

For leaves up to 5 days, 4.6 % is deducted from your fixed salary for every workday. For leaves of six days or more, 3.3 % is deducted from your fixed salary for every calendar day. Leave without pay is not counted toward holiday compensation.


4.3 Parental Leave with and without compensation

Parental rights are regulated by the Parental Leave Act which defines various types of leave, conditions for leave, and the amount of leave.

Types of parental leave defined by the Act

  1. Maternal leave in connection with the birth of a child
  2. Full-time absence until the child is 18 months old
  3. Part-time absence with parental compensation
  4. Reduction in working hours by 25 % until the child turns 8 years old.
  5. Absence to temporarily take care of a child

Leave can be taken as 100 %, 75 %, 50 %, 25 % or 12.5 %. A one-quarter reduction of work hours applies to full-time employees only..

  • Leave can be divided up into a maximum of 3 periods during one calendar year.
  • Application for parental leave should be made two months before the leave period begins, or, if this is not possible, as soon as possible.
  • If leave is for the care of a child, it should be requested one week ahead of time. If the leave is because of sickness, no lead time is necessary.*

Partial parental leave in addition to the Parental Leave Act
In addition to the Parental Leave Act, state employees can be granted reduction of working hours - partial parental leave - according to the Leave Regulations to care for children - until the child is 12 years old.

Application for leave of absence

  • Inform the department chair/director/supervisor of the time period you intend to be on leave.
  • Submit the application for leave of absence to your institution at least 2 months before the parental leave begins or as soon as possible for other types of leave.
  • Notify Försäkringskassan (Social Insurance Agency) that you will be on parental leave.

The application should include which type of parental leave, the exact beginning and ending dates, the nature of the leave, and the child’s birthdate.

Decision regarding leave
The employer makes the decision on leave according to the Parental Leave Act and the Leave Regulations.

If the employee wants to discontinue a current leave of absence, the closest supervisor should be notified. If the leave of absence has lasted longer than one month, the employer can postpone the employee’s return to work by up to one month after the employer received the request to return.

Compensation from Försäkringskassan
Parental compensation is paid by Försäkringskassan during parental leave according to the National Insurance Act. For details, see

Compensation from the university
In addition to parental compensation from Försäkringskassan, the university pays 10 % of your salary as a “salary supplement,” sometimes called parental wage or föräldrarlön.

University salary supplement
There is a local collective agreement between Stockholm University and local trade unions that replaces the rules on supplemental parental compensation found in chapter 8 of the Terms of Employment Agreement/Terms of Employment Agreement-T.

An employee on leave for a child’s birth or the care of an adoptive child has the right to the salary supplement if parental compensation comes from Försäkringskassan. In the case of adoption, the time is counted from the arrival of the adopted child with the adoptive parents.

  • Salary supplement is paid for a maximum of 36 months
  • Salary supplement starts at 10 % of daily wages up to the amount of the maximum basic amount. For the portion of the wages over the maximum basic amount, it is calculated at 90 % of daily wages.
  • Salary supplement is paid monthly according to the nature of the leave for a maximum of 360 days.
  • Leave with salary supplement accrues holiday leave according to the Annual Leave Act.

4.4 Parental Leave without compensation

In addition to the legal right to parental leave, state employees can opt for a reduction in working hours according to the leave regulations (1984:111) in order to care for children under 12 years old. Eligibility for unpaid leave includes being employed for either the previous 6 months or for 12 months in the previous 2 years.


4.5 Study Leave

In accordance with law every employee has, the right to take leave in order to study.

If you plan to study you are, however, required to take a course that correlates to the amount of time you are on leave. The right to this kind of leave is not dependent on the nature of the education or length of course, apart from self-study. The employer has the right, however, to postpone the time when you are granted leave until a later time than you have requested.

4.6 Staff Training

You are entitled to staff training without deduction in salary. Staff training is defined as certain courses or training programmes required by the university. Hand in an application for the staff-training programme you wish to take. It is the employer – usually your Head of Department, Centre, etc. – who will decide whether you can take the training.