There is a considerable shortage of accommodation in Stockholm. Make sure to apply for accommodation well before your expected arrival in Sweden.

Are you eligible?

Foreign guest researchers with a doctoral degree, Post Docs and PhD students are eligible to apply for University housing.

Foreign undergraduates, Erasmus and Master’s students are not eligible to apply.

Double occupancy

In some accommodation areas it is possible to share accommodation if you are living together with a partner. An obligatory fee of 500 SEK monthly is added to the rent for double occupancy. If you have children accompanying you there is no extra fee and we do not supply childrens beds. Double occupancy is only allowed at Docentbacken, Bondegatan and Fjällis housing area. You will always receive two sets of keys, however we cannot gurantee an extra bed.

Maximum period of occupation 1 year

The accommodation is intended for temporary stays only and not for researchers holding permanent positions or having permits of residence.

The minimum period of occupation for all areas except Docentbacken is one month and maximum period of occupation is one year. For Docentbacken minimum time is six months and maximum is one year. The maximum period of occupation possible for one single researcher is one year. Once located you cannot re-apply for housing from SU housing again.

Housing queue

When an application has been submitted, it is placed in the queue for accommodation. The waiting time depends on many factors, such as requested period of time, availability, etc., and therefore it varies a lot. Please note that we do not have so many bigger apartments (40 sqm or bigger) so the queuetime for these is especially long. The queue for Docentbacken is also much longer then for the other areas.

The demand for accommodation is high and we are unfortunately not able to accommodate everyone who applies.

If the requested moving-in-date has passed and you have not received an offer, you need to send an email to within one month in order to remain in the queue.

If we do not hear from you within one month from the requested moving-in-date, we will assume that you have arranged for other accommodation, and your application will be removed from the queue.

Application form for University accommodation

When you are offered accommodation

If there is accommodation available, an offer is sent by email. You will then need to contact us by email by the time that is stated in the offer ( 3 days minimum) or you will loose the offer.

If  we after a month still have not received a reply from you, your application will be cancelled. If you wish to remain in the queue for a second offer you must send an email to

Offers are sent earliest two months before the requested moving in date. This means that if you applied in March for an apartment from November, you will receive an offer no earlier than September.