The Institute

Yngve Öhman
Yngve Öhman

The Institute for Solar Physics was first established as The Research Station for Astrophysics in 1951 on the island of Capri, Italy, by the late professor Yngve Öhman. Around 1980 the station moved to La Palma in the Canary Islands. Reconstruction was made possible by large donations from Mrs. Margareta Dahlberg and the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation. The new station is situated within the Spanish-International Observatory on the Roque de los Muchachos. It soon became obvious that the superior astronomical climate on La Palma called for a first-class solar telescope. The 47.5-cm Swedish Vacuum Solar Telescope, SVST, was erected in 1985.

Swedish 1 m Solar Telescope
Swedish 1 m Solar Telescope

The SVST was removed from the tower on 28 August 2000 after almost 15 years of successful operations. It will get a new life at Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, CA, US.  The SVST has been replaced with the Swedish 1-m Solar Telescope, which has twice as large aperture.

The Institute for Solar Physics is a national research infrastructure under the Swedish Research Council. It is managed as an independent institute associated with Stockholm University through its Department of Astronomy. The institute is located in AlbaNova University Center, close to the main campuses of Stockholm University and the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH).

The current director is Jorrit Leenaarts.