History

History quote

History of the former Department of Scandinavian Languages

  • 1873. The first department was Humanistiska biblioteket (the Faculty of Humanities's Library).
     
  • 1895. The first lectures in the Swedish language were held by Dr Karl Ljungstedt.
     
  • 1928. The first full professor in Scandinavian Languages at Stockholm University (formerly Stockholm) was Elias Wessén.
     
  • 1935. The first academic textbook was "Våra folkmål" ("Our dialects") by Elias Wessén.
     
  • 1954. The first full professor in Scandinavian Languages, especially Modern Swedish, was Carl Ivar Ståhle.
     
  •  1971. The department moved into the newly built Södra huset in Frescati, first to the E Building, and in 1995 to the D Building, where we are today.
     
  • 2013. The department merged with the Center for Research on Bilinguaism and the Institute for Interpretation and Translation Studies and became the Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism.

History of Stockholm University

See a beautiful animated history of Stockholm University by Sara-Mara.

Contacts

Hus D

Visiting address
Universitetsvägen 10 D
Building D
Södra huset
Frescati

  • Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism: Floor 3–6
  • Centre for Research on Bilingualism: Floor 3–4
  • The Institute for Interpreting and Translation Studies: Floor 5

Postal address
Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism
Stockholm University
SE-106 91 STOCKHOLM
Sweden

Invoicing address
See Addresses

Telephone: +46 8 16 20 00
Also, see Addresses

Fax: +46 8 15 85 33

E-mail
See Addresses

Swedish for international students
Tisus in English

FB Svefler

facebook