Stockholm university logo, link to start page

FAQ about Costs, fees and scholarships

Frequently asked questions about fees and scholarships. This FAQ is intended for students with a citizenship from outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland.



Our invoicing system requires us to fill in “United States” to issue an invoice in English. Please disregard this information on your invoice, as it does not refer to your nationality. 


Tuition fee

The deadline for payment of the tuition fee for the autumn semester 2021 has been extended. We want to underline that you should pay with due haste but as it will not be possible for some students to make the payment by the formal deadline of June 4th, payments will be accepted until the end of June. However, please note that if you pay any later than June 4th it will take longer to register payment in our educational database and thus for the Migration Agency to be notified.

Tuition fee payment, timeline autumn semester 2021

The tuition fee is paid in advanced for one semester at a time. The first instalment is the tuition fee for the first semester. You can find more details on how to pay the first and subsequent instalments by following the link below.

Payment and repayment of tuition fee

No, the invoice can unfortunately not be sent until after the Second notification of results has been published. You can find more details on how to pay the first and subsequent instalments by following the link below.

Payment and repayment of tuition fee

If the second and subsequent instalments are not paid by the invoice deadline after a reminder sent by the University, the student may be suspended from the course or programme until the fee has been paid.

The tuition fee must be paid for one semester at a time and cannot be split into smaller instalments.

One of the requirements to get a residence permit for studies from the Swedish Migration Agency is admittance to full-time studies in a programme or courses that require a student’s presence in higher education (see all requirements on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency). The definition of full-time studies in Sweden corresponds to 30 credits per semester or 60 credits a year. Depending on your country of citizenship and on what courses you’ve been admitted to, this might lead to the following consequences:

Students admitted to courses comprising less than 30 credits per semester that are lasting more than 3 months
Students admitted to studies comprising less than 30 credits in one semester will not be considered full-time students in Sweden. This will consequently lead to problems when applying for a residence permit for studies at the Swedish Migration Agency. For this reason, we do not send the invoice for the payment of the tuition fee to international fee-paying students who are admitted to courses comprising less than 30 credits in one semester.

Students admitted to studies lasting less than 3 months
The problems outlined above do not apply to students admitted to studies lasting less than 3 months in total, who are consequently not required to apply for a residence permit for studies. Depending on their country of citizenship, these students might be required to apply for a visa instead. On this list, you can verify if you are required to hold a visa to visit Sweden. Please visit the website of the Migration Agency to verify the requirements for obtaining a visa. 

Please note that in case of denial of the visa from the Migration Agency and subsequent application for reimbursement of the tuition fee, an administrative fee of 5,000 SEK applies to the repayment. Students who need a visa to study in Sweden are for this reason recommended to carefully consider whether they want to go through with the payment of the tuition fee.

Students who do not need a visa to travel in Sweden can - if they are to study for less than three months - stay and study in Sweden during their visa-free period without a visa.  



Determining your fee-status

The National Admissions System cannot record when an applicant has paid the first instalment of their tuition fee. The admissions status will therefore still be listed as 'Conditionally admitted,' on University Admissions even after a student has paid the first instalment of the tuition fee.

A student that has been exempted from paying the tuition fee for a specific course or programme will remain exempt for the entire course or all subsequent semesters of the programme, unless the basis for the original decision was incorrect.

In order for your tuition fee status to be reconsidered, you need to present new documentation of your status. Please follow the instructions to request a re-assessment that you can find at the link below. 

General rule and exemptions from paying the tuition fee


Repayments of the tuition fee

The tuition fee can be repaid if a student is prevented from commencing studies for verifiable, special reasons. Check the conditions applying and the process for requesting a repayment on our website.

Payment and repayment of tuition fee

The tuition fee is repaid for students whose residence permit application is denied by the Swedish Migration Agency. Check the conditions applying and the process for requesting a repayment on our website.

Payment and repayment of tuition fee

You can find the conditions applying and the process for requesting a repayment on our website.

Payment and repayment of tuition fee

An administrative fee of 5,000 SEK normally applies to repayments. The fee has however been waived for the autumn semester 2021. The tuition fee will therefore be fully refunded if the conditions for repayment are fulfilled.


Insurance for fee-paying students

Yes, all fee-paying students studying on-campus at Stockholm University are covered by "FAS - The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students". The insurance covers emergency medical and dental care. See the terms and conditions for more information and the definition of “emergency” care.

Terms and conditions FAS on Kammarkollegiets's webpage

Read more about the insurance on our webpage

No, the FAS Insurance is accepted by the Swedish Migration Agency as a comprehensive health insurance. Your Notification of Selection Results (that you can download from the University Admissions platform) can be used as an insurance certificate, when applying for the residence permit.

Notification of Selection Results (

Unfortunately not, as the FAS insurance only covers registered students (currently registered in the study-administration system Ladok) and cannot be prolonged after the studies have been completed.
If the total consecutive time for your residence permit in Sweden will be longer than one year you can be registered with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). If you are registered in Sweden you are considered as having a comprehensive healthcare policy that is valid for healthcare in Sweden and that is accepted by the Migration Agency.

More information om the Migration Agency’s website


Exchange studies

As an international student, you can apply for exchange studies in one of Stockholm University’s partner institutions around the world.

More information about exchange studies. 

Please consider the implications of exchange studies on the different aspects listed below:


Tuition fee

If you participate in an exchange programme via Stockholm University you are liable to pay the full tuition fee to Stockholm University during the exchange period. This means that you do not pay the tuition fee to the partner university but to Stockholm University. 


Residence permit for studies

Among other requirements, students must be admitted to full-time studies in a higher education programme, which requires their presence in Sweden, in order to be able to obtain a residence permit for studies in Sweden. Exchange studies that are conducted at another university, outside Sweden, do not fulfil the full-time studies requirement. If you plan to do one or more semesters of exchange studies during your programme at Stockholm University, you should only apply for a residence permit for the time you plan to study in Sweden.

During the exchange semester, you might need a residence permit in the country where you are going to study. In this case you should contact the authorities in that country to find out what is required.



It is important that you check what insurance applies during your studies abroad, you can find more information on our webpage.

Practical information about exchange studies


If you have a Swedish Institute scholarship

Students with Swedish Institute (SI) scholarships must always contact SI to see if the exchange studies are compatible with the scholarship, regardless of the country they would like to study in. The students must show they have obtained approval with a letter from SI before they go on exchange.


If you have a Stockholm University scholarship 

Students with a Stockholm University scholarship (also called Stockholm University tuition fee waiver) cannot go on an exchange through the Erasmus + programmes (including Civis and Nordlys). Erasmus + and the Stockholm University scholarships are funded by the Swedish Council of Higher Education (UHR) and are therefore incompatible with each other. Stockholm University's scholarship recipients can go on an exchange as long as it is not funded through Erasmus +.


Minor Field Studies

The Minor Field Studies (MFS) programme is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and provides an opportunity for students to conduct a field study abroad during their degree project. Please note, an admission requirement is that students need to be a Swedish citizen or have a permanent residence permit (permanent uppehållstillstånd) in Sweden. 

Find all the admissions requirements on our webpage




Approved leave from studies

Students who want to take a temporary break from their studies can apply for approved leave from studies (studieuppehåll). The application should be submitted to the responsible department directly. Please consider the implications of an approved leave from studies on the different aspects listed below:


Tuition fee

You may continue the course or programme after an approved leave from studies at the same fee level that applied when you were admitted to the course or programmee in question. If the fee is lower, the lower fee will apply. You will need to notify the University well before resuming studies to receive a new invoice. 


Residence permit for studies

An approved leave of studies could influence your possibilities of obtaining or keeping a residence permit for studies in Sweden. 

  • An extension application can be denied if the progression requirement (i.e. amount of credits completed) is not met due to the approved leave from studies.
  • A residence permit for studies can be revoked by the Swedish Migration Agency if a student is granted an approved leave from studies. 

It is a good idea to contact the Migration Agency regarding your specific situation to see how approved leave from studies could affect your residence permit in Sweden. 
Contact Migrationsverket for more information



During the time you are on leave from studies the FAS insurance does not apply. Therefore, it is important to make sure that you have sufficient insurance coverage until you resume your studies.



Students who have been awarded a scholarship must contact the respective scholarship organisation to see if it is possible to keep the scholarship when studies are resumed.



British citizens and their family members designated in article 10 of the Withdrawal Agreement, who exercised their right to reside in Sweden before the end of the transitional period on 31 December 2020, and continue to do so - will not be required to pay application and tuition fees. If you are a British citizen who already lives in Sweden and wish to continue doing so after the transitional period, you must apply for a residence status at the Migration Agency. You will also need to document that you are exempted from paying the fees, following the instructions available on the University Admissions in Sweden.
Website of the Swedish Migration Agency 
British citizens not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement - or any other fee exemptions - will be required to pay both application and tuition fees starting 1 January 2021. 



Couldn't find the answer to your question? Contact us for more information and guidance.

If you have questions about the tuition fees, email:

If you have questions about scholarships, email:

For other types of questions, email:

On this page