Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Insurance for fee-paying students

All fee-paying students studying on-campus at Stockholm University are covered by "FAS - The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students".

The FAS Insurance is accepted by the Swedish Migration Agency as a compre­hen­sive healt­h­ insu­rance. Your Notification of Selection Results (that you can download from can be used as an insurance certificate when applying for the residence permit at the Migration Agency.

The insurance covers emergency medical and dental care and is valid 24 hours per day:

  • during the study period at Stockholm University (according to the registration in LADOK)
  • 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after the study period
  • during direct travel to/from your home country

Please note that the insurance covers “emergency” medical and dental care. See the terms and conditions for more information and the definition of “emergency” care.

Terms and conditions FAS

Since personal property is not covered by the FAS insurance, students are recommended to sign up for private home insurance. 

Details about home insurance and insurance companies



How to submit an insurance claim

When visiting a doctor, remember to keep the paid receipts to be able to claim a reimbursement. If you are issued an invoice, the fee can also be paid directly by Kammarkollegiet. Submit the invoice promptly together with the claim form, by following the steps below.

1. Fill out the claim form provided by Kammarkollegiet  (print and sign). 

2. Visit either Infocenter in Studenthuset or the student administration at your department in order for your status as a registered fee-paying student at Stockholm University to be confirmed.

Opening hours at Infocenter

List of all departments

3. Email the insurance claim and receipt to Kammarkollegiet’s address, as noted in the insurance claim form. Remember to include your receipts and, if applicable, printed electronic receipts.

Note: The claim form must be submitted within three years from the date of the incident.

If you have questions about the FAS insurance through Stockholm University please contact or Kammarkollegiet.


Apply for a Swedish personal identity number

If you have a residence permit valid for more than one year, you can register with the Swedish Tax Agency for a personal identity number. Once you have received your number, you will be entitled to all healthcare services and pay only the standard patient fees. If you are covered by the FAS insurance, the patient fee can be refunded by doing a claim to Kammarkollegiet.

Swedish personal identity number


FAQ Cost, fees and scholarships

Find the answer to the most frequently asked questions about costs, fees and scholarships, or contact us for more information and guidance.

FAQ and Contact

On this page