Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Swedish personal identity number

Students who are staying in Sweden for more than a year must apply for an official Swedish personal identity number. All students who don’t already have a Swedish ID number are assigned a temporary number by the university.

Interim personal identity number (T-number)

If you do not already have a Swedish personal identity number, the university will assign you a T-number so you can register for courses. Exchange students get a T-number from their host department and international students can see their T-number at on their notification of selection results. 

The T-number can only be used at Stockholm University. If you are studying in Sweden for longer than one year, apply for a Swedish personal identity number.

Swedish personal identity number (Personnummer)

International students who study in Sweden for 12 months or longer must apply for a Swedish personal identity number (“personnummer” in Swedish) at the Swedish Tax Agency (“Skatteverket” in Swedish). The personal identity number is a 4-digit number following your date of birth in the format: YYMMDD-XXXX. Registration must be done in person at one of the tax agency offices and you must bring a different set of documents, depending on your country of citizenship.

Applying for a Swedish personal identity number

Visit Skatteverket’s “Moving to Sweden” website for the precise details on how to apply. In general, you fill out their form, print it, and then go to the Tax Office with the form and all required documentation. This includes:

  • Valid passport (or national ID for EU/EEA students)
  • Letter of Acceptance/Notification of Selection (download from
  • Your address in Sweden including apartment number
  • For EU/EEA students: Registration Certificate/Proof of Enrolment (download from My studies)
  • For EU/EEA students: the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • For non-EU/EEA and Swiss students: Information regarding you residence permit: UT card and decision

Additional documentation might be required; consult the Skatteverket website.

Once you are registered at the Swedish Tax Agency you are welcome to visit Infocenter at Campus Frescati to replace your interim personal identity number (”T-number”) with the new Swedish personal identity number.

Reporting a change of address

Students with a Swedish personal identity number have the legal duty to report changes of address within Sweden to the Swedish Tax Agency so that your address is correct in the population register. Reporting your change of address is free of charge and can be done quickly and easily using the Tax Agency's e-service.

How to report a change of address

When moving from Sweden

If you leave Sweden in order to live abroad for one year or more, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency at least one week before departure. Should you cancel or postpone your departure, notify the Swedish Tax Agency no later than the previously stated date of departure. If you forget to submit the notification on time, send it as soon as possible.

In order to notify the Swedish Tax Agency that you are moving abroad, download the form:

Notification, Moving Abroad SKV 7665

Be sure to fill in as much information as possible, as it will ease the handling of your notification.

Read more on the Skatteverket website

FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact

On this page