Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Visas and residence permits

Before you come to Sweden, make sure that you have the correct documentation.

EU/EEA citizens who are registered students at a Swedish university and have comprehensive health insurance automatically have right of residence in Sweden, and therefore do not need to apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency

Swiss citizens who are admitted for studies lasting more than three months must apply for a residence permit. You do not need to wait for your application to be processed and can begin studying immediately.


Nordic citizens do not need a residence permit.

International and exchange students from outside the EU/EEA who are admitted for studies lasting longer than three months must apply for a residence permit (“uppehållstillstånd” in Swedish). For studies shorter than three months, an entry visa is required for citizens from certain countries.

You apply for a residence permit at Migrationsverket, the Swedish Migration Agency. On their website, you will find a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the first time. Do not apply more than three months before the start of your residence permit period. You can for example apply for the residence permit for studies starting in the autumn semester 2020 at the earliest from the beginning of May.

How to apply for a residence permit for studies

Extending a Residence Permit

A residence permit is normally granted for one year at a time. Extension of a residence permit must be done before the existing residence permit expires. Please be aware that the waiting time when applying for extension of a residence permit might be very long. You are entitled to stay in Sweden while the permit is being processed.

More information can be found on the Migration Board’s website

Residence permit to seek employment or start business after studies

If you have a residence permit for studies at a university or other higher education institution in Sweden and have completed your studies, you can get a residence permit for 12 months to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business here. You must apply for a residence permit while you are still in Sweden and before your current permit for studies expires.

FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact


On this page