Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Studying with a disability

Stockholm University provides targeted study support to students with long-term disabilities. The goal is to give all students the opportunity to study under equal conditions.

The support is based on your individual needs and aims to facilitate your studies. The support should be reasonable with regard to the disability, course requirements, and intended learning outcomes. How you apply for support differs depending on whether you are attending the university as an independent student or as an exchange student.

Continued distance consultations

Disability Services are continuing to offer distance consultations via Zoom or telephone.

Submitting wages forms

From the 1st of January 2022 there will be a return to the standard way of submitting the wages and timesheet forms. The forms may be submitted either by handing them in at Infocenter or by sending them by post.
Read more about submitting wages forms


If you have a documented, long-term disability you can apply for targeted study support. Long-term disabilities may include:

  • specific reading disorder/dyslexia
  • ADHD, ADD and autism spectrum disorders
  • mental health conditions, such as long-term depression and bipolar disorder
  • vision and hearing impairments
  • mobility impairments
  • long-term medical conditions, such as allergies and Crohn’s disease

Temporary injury or illness

Temporary injury or illness is not covered by targeted study support. Please contact a study counsellor at your department.


As an independent student taking freestanding courses, or as a degree student, you organize your studies in Sweden independently. In this case you are welcome to make an application for support online in the system Nais soon as you have been accepted to Stockholm University and have a Stockholm University student account.

How to apply for support as an independent student

  1. Submit an application in the system Nais by clicking the link below. You must attach documentation verifying that you have a long-term disability in your application.

    Make an application in Nais
  2. After you have submitted your application, a coordinator of targeted study support will contact you to set up a meeting.
  3. After your meeting with the coordinator you will receive a certificate detailing support and adjustments recommended for you. You will receive an email from Nais when the certificate is available for you to download. You may then show it to the contact person at your department.

More information about applying in Nais

More details on how to make an application in Nais and information about the system can be found on the following page:

More information about applying in Nais

When to apply for support as an independent student

It is recommended that you apply for support as soon as possible, so that you may inform your department about your need for support at the start of the course. You can make your application as soon as you have been accepted to Stockholm University and have a Stockholm University student account. It is also possible to apply for support at any time during the semester.  

Documentation verifying a long-term disability

The documentation that you provide in your digital application should be coherent and cohesive. It should be written by a qualified health care practitioner such as a doctor, psychologist or speech-language pathologist. It must be written in Swedish or English and should include:

  • your name 
  • your Swedish personal number, if applicable
  • name, profession, and place of work of the health care practitioner issuing the document as well as their signature
  • date of the assessment/diagnosis
  • how long you have had the disability for and length of time it is expected to last
  • a description of the disability and how it might affect your studies

The health care practitioner is welcome to contact us at if they have any questions regarding what needs to be included in the documentation. 


Are you planning to come to Stockholm University on an exchange programme and need support and adjustments due to a disability? In that case, your coordinator or adviser at your home university must contact us at Disability Services well before your arrival, so as to ensure that the support may be arranged. They are welcome to contact us at

You are also advised to contact the international coordinator at the department where you wish to study well ahead of time, in order to get help with planning your studies at Stockholm University.

Erasmus exchange programme

Universities and colleges within the EU and EEA can apply for extra funding to cover associated costs regarding special pedagogical support on an Erasmus placement. It is always the home university that applies for this on their outgoing student's behalf, not the individual student.

The department’s Erasmus coordinator is responsible for ensuring that all the necessary paperwork is completed and that arrangements to meet the needs of the student are made at the host institution before the start of the academic year in which the exchange is scheduled to take place.

It is important that the Erasmus coordinator or the coordinator for targeted study support at your home university contact us at Disability Services well before your arrival, so as to ensure that the support may be arranged. They are welcome to contact us at


When the coordinator has approved your application for support, you will receive a certificate describing support and adjustments recommended for you. Please note that the coordinator can only provide recommendations regarding support and adjustments. It is the department, teacher or examiner who decide which adjustments can be granted based on the current syllabus and course requirements.

After receiving your certificate it is recommended that you introduce yourself and show the certificate to the contact person at your department, which is usually the study counsellor. The study counsellor can help you in your studies and answer questions about the department’s courses. You can also discuss your choice of study with the counsellor.

At the start of a course

When you start a new course or course unit, please introduce yourself to the teacher and tell them what your needs are. The teacher may then want to see the certificate you received from the coordinator in order to be able to take it into consideration when planning the teaching and examinations. Please do not hesitate to ask for help when you need it. If something does not work, you are welcome to contact your coordinator.


The main duties of a coordinator of targeted study support are as follows:

  • Process cases for students with long-term disabilities. 
  • Recommend, and in some cases decide on, targeted study support measures and adjustments. The recommendations are based on documentation of a long-term disability and a conversation with the student.
  • Collaborate with the departments on finding appropriate support measures.
  • Provide operational support to the departments.

Some of the more common types of support we provide at Stockholm University are presented alphabetically below.

Please note that individual aids such as wheelchairs, walkers, hearing aids, and voice recorders are acquired by the students themselves or via the county council.

Course literature in alternative formats

If you have a disability that makes it difficult to read printed text you can get access to course literature in alternative formats through a talking books account in Legimus. Talking books that you borrow through Legimus can be read on a computer, smartphone or tablet. You can also borrow e-textbooks as well as search for and order Braille books through Legimus.

The University Library can help you register a talking books account and instruct you on how to use Legimus. Contact the University Library at to make an appointment to register a talking books account or if you have questions about course literature in alternative formats. 

More information about talking books at the University Library

More information about books in alternative formats at

Examination adjustments

Extended time, assistive software, or alternative forms of assessment are examples of examination adjustments that may be recommended for you depending on your needs. It is the examiner who decides which adjustments are possible for each examination in regards to the course objectives. At Stockholm University, Examination Services offer centrally administered rooms for taking exams with adjustments.

More information about Examination Services


If you have a diagnosed and documented executive function deficit you may be granted a mentor. The mentor support is focused on helping students develop independence in their studies. For a period of time, the mentor will provide an introduction to good study habits and demonstrate tools that can facilitate the planning and organising of studies.

Note-taking support

If you are unable to take notes on your own during lectures and classes, you may receive lecture notes from a fellow student. Ask the study counsellor if there is a note-taker on the course. Otherwise, you can ask a fellow student yourself. The note-taker will be compensated for their work. Note-taking support is not a replacement for attendance, meaning that you will only receive notes from lectures and classes which you attend. If you have participated in the teaching sessions on a course and re-register to the same course in order to complete an examination, you do not normally receive note-taking support again.

Resource rooms

There are two resource rooms at the University Library that may be booked for individual study sessions. These rooms cannot be used for examinations. The resource rooms have computers equipped with text-to-speech and spell-checking software. You may reserve the rooms for a maximum of 4 hours per week, and at least 2 hours each time. 

Access card to resource rooms

You will need an access card to open the resource rooms. If you do not have an access card, please contact your coordinator for targeted study support. The access card is active for one semester at a time. You must therefore reactivate your access card before each new spring and autumn semester. To reactivate your card, send an email to with the following information:

  • Name and surname
  • Personal identity number (yymmdd-xxxx)
  • Card number (10 black digits on the back of the card) 

Please note that it must be stated in Ladok that you are registered on a course at Stockholm University during the semester for which you are reactivating the access card.

Book a resource room via the University Library

Sign language interpretation

As a registered student you can get a sign language interpreter for every situation that is related to your studies. 

More information about studying with an interpreter

Interpretation between students

Text-to-speech software

As a student at Stockholm University, you have access to the text-to-speech computer software ClaroRead Plus. The software reads digital text aloud and can be used to listen to text in articles, documents, e-mails and on websites. You can install the software on your computer (PC or Mac) for free via the University website. Please note that the software must be reinstalled once a year.  If you have installed the software and would like a demonstration of how it works and can be used, you may email to make an appointment.

Information on how to install the text-to-speech software

Students in Studenthuset
Photo: Viktor Gårdsäter


The Housing Office provides accommodation to international students at Stockholm University. Exchange students from partner universities and non-European master's students who have received a specific scholarship via the Stockholm University Scholarship Scheme are prioritised. Several of the rooms/apartments that the Housing Office rents and manages are wheelchair accessible.

More information about Housing for International Students

Support outside the university setting

Please note that Stockholm University cannot assist you with transport service, technical equipment, medical assistance or aids and assistance outside the university setting. This support is the responsibility of the Social Welfare System in the municipality of your residence. Please contact the municipality before you apply to the University.

Are you bringing medicines?

Please visit the following site and read about the rules that apply to travellers bringing medicines into Sweden:

Bringing medicines into Sweden


At Stockholm University, we aim to make our facilities and environment fully accessible.

Adaptations of facilities

If the facilities need to be adapted, or if you encounter obstacles in the University’s facilities, you are welcome to contact the Property Management Office, e-mail:

Accessible toilets

Toilets with ceiling lifts are available in Södra huset, building C, floor 3 and in Arrhenius, building P, floor 2, northern part. The closest entrance to the latter is at Svante Arrhenius väg 20 F.

Please contact your department's study counsellor for information on accessible toilets located close to your department.

Accessible entrances and lifts

Please contact your department’s study counsellor for information on accessible entrances or lifts at your department. 

Accessible parking

Please contact the department’s study counsellor for information on accessible parking spaces close to your department.

Relaxation rooms

Relaxation rooms can be found in Södra huset and Studenthuset. If you need access to a relaxation room in Studenthuset, please contact Infocenter on the ground floor of Studenthuset.

Opening hours and contact details to Infocenter

If you need access to a relaxation room in Södra huset, please contact Service Center Frescati Södra, house D, floor 4 (next to Stockholm University library).

Opening hours and contact details to Service Center

Aerial virew over the Frescati campus
Photo: Clément Morin

If you are working as a note-taker, mentor, etc., supporting students with disabilities you can find useful information about your job and wages by clicking on the link below. You will also find the forms that you need to submit to receive your wages.

Information about wages and forms for note-takers, mentors, etc.



Questions about support


Telephone hours

Wednesdays 1 - 2pm
Tel: +46 8–16 17 80

Where to find us

Anna Zällh Vahlquist

Room 165, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset

Cecilia Widlund

ICT pedagogue
Room 164, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset​​​​

Emelie Ferm (on parental leave 2021)

Coordinator for special pedagogical support
Room 167, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset

Jeanette Johansson

Room 166, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset

Marie Archenholtz

Coordinator for special pedagogical support
Room 168, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset

Mia Karlsson

Group leader
Coordinator for special pedagogical support
Room 170, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset

Åsa Ferm

Coordinator for special pedagogical support
Room 169, house Beta, floor 1, Studenthuset

On this page