The Department of Political Science at Stockholm University has comprehensive and much appreciated exchange programmes with other universities in Europe and the rest of the world.
Erasmus+ offers many possibilities to study Political Science abroad. If you are studying abroad under the Erasmus+ scheme, you will receive a smaller scholarship/grant and you do not have to pay any semester-or tuition fees to the host university. You apply for Erasmus exchange studies at the Department of Political Science.
Below you will find information about our agreements and Partner Universites. The agreements are signed in the subject area of Political Science, which means that it may not be possible to take courses in other subject areas. Should you be interested in other courses, you must contact your exchange coordinator in due time to see if this is possible.
Nordplus and Nordlys
The bigger Nordic universities have a network between their respective departments for Political Science within the Nordplus programme, a programme financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
The Nordplus Network offers possibilities to study at other universities in the Nordic countries. There is one place open for application at all the universities.
As a Nordplus-student, you do not have to pay any semester- or tuition fees and may apply for small scholarship/grant.
You apply for Nordplus exchange studies at the Department of Political Science in the same way as applicants to the Erasmus+ programme.
Nordlys is a network within Nordplus – the Nordic Council of Ministers’ framework programme for educational mobility in the Nordic countries.
The student exchange is managed by the International Office.
Partner universities Erasmus+ and Nordplus
Here you will find our partner universities. For further information about eligiability, language etc see the pdf.
Application Erasmus+ and Nordplus
- February 26 for application to the fall semester, spring semester and academic year.
- September 10 for the possibly available exchange vacancies for the spring semester.
- Have a look at the Partner University list with information about the exchange places available for the current appliation round. Find out which country, universty, city you are interested in and if you fulfill the requirements. Please contact us on email@example.com if you want to discuss your interests with the international coodinator at the department.
- Read throung the Application instructions carefully, which will be published about one month prior to the appliation deadline. In this document, you will also find the link to the online appliation.
- Fill in the online-application and submit the application together with the required documents before the application deadline.
- Along with your application, you shall upload you transcripts of records (studieintyg), a photo, documentation of language skills if available and other documents that you think may be of importance for the assessment. You shall also attach a motivation letter (about one page) where you describe yourself, why you would like to participate in a study exchange, your expectations and possible benefits from the exchange.
- The selection will be based on the cumulative assessment of your academic credits and grades. Programme students (Pol.kand. or KOPO) who apply for an exchange for their selective semester will have the highest priority. Students who have been on an exchange previously, will be lower prioritized, but are welcome to apply.
- We will announce whether you have been accepted or not about three weeks after the application deadline.
Processing of personal data
The university uses personal data to accomplish our mission as a university. This is how your personal data is treated when applying for exchange studies: Processing of personal data (343 Kb)
Eligibility Erasmus+ and Nordplus
To apply for the Erasmus programme and study Political Science at our partner universities you must:
- Be registered and active as a student at Stockholm University with the intention to take a degree at SU.
- Have studied at least one year of full time university studies completed before departure*.
- Have studied at least one semester (30 credits) in Political Science (Political Science I) or International Relations*.
- Not been on an Erasmus exchange during the same study cycle for more than 6 months.
- Agree on studying full time during the exchange period (in accordance with agreed study plan – Learning Agreement – signed before departure), for at least 3 months but no more than 12 months at the partner university.
- Agree on doing a language test before and after the exchange period and write a student report upon return.
*please check the partner university list for specific application requirements at our partneruniversities.
Before departure, you will set up a study plan together with the exchange coordinator at the department. The study plan (Learning Agreement) must also be accepted and signed by all three parts, the student, your host university and your department at Stockholm University. The study plan shall include information about the courses you will take and the credits for each course.
You apply for credit transfer through www.student.ladok.se by loggin in and the selecting "Apply for" and then "Credit transfer". Please make sure that you upload a signed Learning Agreement and you official transcript of record together with your application.
If you choose to take other courses than the ones agreed upon in your learning agreement there is no guarantee that the courses taken abroad may be validated at Stockholm University.
As a student at Stockholm University, you have the opportunity to apply for funding to complete a traineeship at a company or organisation in any country that participates in the Erasmus+ programme.
Local agreement: Study in China
The Department of Political Science has a bilateral Agreement on Academic Collaboration and Exchange with the School of Political Science, Leshan Normal University in Leshan, Sichuan Province.
There are two places available for students from the Department of Political Science to study at Leshan Normal University during Spring Semester 2020. Exchange students are exempt from tuition fees. Some financial support for living expenses may also be available. The application deadline for Spring Semester 2020 is Friday, October 25.
Before applying, you should contact Merrick Tabor in order to discuss the exchange program and your application.
Central university-wide agreements
Stockholm University has central university-wide agreements with about fifty universities all over the world, such as University of Technology Sydney (AU), York University (CA), Shanghai Jiao Tong University (CN), The University of Auckland (NZ), National university of Singapore (SG), Lomonosov Moscow State University (RU), and University of Washington in Seattle (US), University of Michigan (US) and New York University (US).
North2North is an exchange programme within the University of the Arctic network, which aims to increase collaboration between a number of participating universities in the northern parts of Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Finland, Russia, Canada and the USA.
The student exchange is managed by the International Office.
Minor Field Studies
Sida, through its Minor Field Study scholarship, provides opportunities for students to spend minimum 8 weeks in a developing country in order to carry out a minor field study as the basis for a bachelor’s or master’s thesis.
The Minor Field Study-programme aims to broaden and deepen the international expertise of Swedish universities and colleges. MFS is managed by the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) .
The scholarship partially covers expenses during the period of study, and usually needs to be supplemented by, for example, student aid from CSN.
How to apply?
For more information about Minor Field Studies, please visit:
Double Master Degree with Ludwig-Maximilian-Universität
The Department of Political Science at Stockholm University and the Geschwister Scholl Institute of Political Science at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München have teamed up to offer a double degree option by combining the Master in Political Science of Stockholms Universitet (120 ECTS) and the Master Program in Political Science of LMU Munich (120 ECTS).
Last updated: March 22, 2021
Source: Department of Political Science