Stockholm university logo, link to start page

Pre-departure information

There is a lot to think about before moving to a new country for studies, below we have collected some useful information that will help you make sure everything is in order before your departure to Sweden.

View of Stockholm City Hall. Sweden Image Bank, Photo: Björn Olin

This information is for international students who have applied to Stockholm University through, exchange students should follow the instructions they receive from their international coordinator instead. 

Pre-departure to-do list

Be sure to follow the instructions of the department that is responsible for the programme you have applied to. Unsure about which department is yours? The responsible department is always specified on the programme- or course-page on Stockholm University's course catalogue.

This step is of course optional. There are two main scholarship opportunities for students coming from countries outside of EU/EEA/Switzerland and who are required to pay tuition fees for studies.

Stockholm University scholarship scheme

Swedish Institute Scholarships

Other scholarships
On, you can find a list of scholarships for students from a variety of countries as well as country-specific scholarships to which you can apply.

Scholarship list on

Note that you must have paid the first instalment of the tuition fee before handing in your application for a residence permit.

Fees and scholarships


Fee-paying students are covered by FAS

The ”FAS - The Swedish State’s Insurance for Fee-Paying Students”, is a health insurance that covers all international fee-paying students at Stockholm University. 

The FAS Insurance is accepted by the Swedish Migration Agency as a compre­hen­sive healt­h­ insu­rance. Note that your Notification of Selection Results (that you can download from can be used as an insurance certificate, when applying for the residence permit at the Migration Agency.

'Terms & Conditions' for FAS

More information about insurance

If you have questions about FAS, you can send an email to

EU/EEA/Swiss/Nordic Citizens should bring the EHIC card
If you are a citizen of any of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, you should register for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your home country before coming to Sweden. This card gives you the right to medical care at the same cost as Swedes.

More information about insurance

You apply for a residence permit at Migrationsverket, the Swedish Migration Agency. On their website, you will find a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the first time.

It is important that you apply for a residence permit well in advance, to make sure that your application is processed in time. Do not apply more than three months before the start of your residence permit period. You can for example apply for the residence permit for studies starting in the autumn semester at the earliest from the beginning of May.

How to apply for a residence permit for studies

In the beginning of the semester, it can be quite difficult to find accommodation in Stockholm and we strongly recommend students to start looking well in advance. All admitted students are encouraged to sign up at SSSB (Stockholms studentbostäder, a student housing provider in Stockholm) to start collecting queue days for student accommodation  provided by SSSB.

Waiting list rules at SSSB.

Since SSSB’s queue is quite long, make sure to start looking for accommodation on the private rental market also. The Housing Office provides some general advice regarding housing in Stockholm, as well as a list of links to websites with housing ads.

Verify the registration dates
Before making any travel arrangements remember to verify when and how you need to register at the department before you book your trip, as the registration may take place some days before the start of the course or programme.

Find your department

Check the dates for the Welcome activities
Welcome activities

International students who study in Sweden for 12 months or longer must apply for a Swedish personal identity number (“personnummer” in Swedish) at the Swedish Tax Agency (“Skatteverket” in Swedish). 

Swedish Personal Identification Number (Personnummer)

Join our webinars for admitted students! We will focus on topics such as registration, university account, insurance, living costs, arrival service and accommodation. You will also have the chance to ask us all your questions via the chat.

Meet us online

You will find the information you need to get started with your studies (including how to activate your university account and other important steps) on our checklist for admitted students


Preparing for your life in Stockholm

Stockholm is a cultural hub and economic centre, with many green areas and surrounded by water. The ideal place to enjoy an exciting and pleasant student life! is the official guide of Stockholm where you can find information and get inspired.

Local transportation
Stockholm’s public transportation, “SL”, provides travel by commuter trains, underground, buses and ferries throughout the greater Stockholm area. Underground stations are marked with a blue ’T’ and commuter train stations with a blue ’J’. Students who are studying at least 22.5 credits per semester can buy a student travel card that gives a discount on the cost of travel. The student travel card can be bought at all major SL ticket agents such as Pressbyrån and at SL Access ticket machines at underground and commuter rail stations. When travelling with a student travel card you must always be able to prove that you have the right to do so by showing your student union member discount card “Campuskortet”. For more information about the discount visit the Stockholm University Student Union webpage.

Student discount on commuter traffic

If you are not a frequent user of the transport system you can buy a single ticket that is valid for one hour, but it should be noted that this is the most expensive option. Further information, prices and a trip planner (which you can use to find the quickest route between two addresses or stations) can be found at:

Even though it is very easy for international students to get by with English only, learning Swedish could be a great advantage. Students at Stockholm University are offered various possibilities for learning Swedish while studying in Sweden. And for those who can't wait to start there are free courses available online!

Learning Swedish

The purpose with the group is to find friends and discuss questions related to the move to Stockholm. The group is not moderated by Stockholm University.

New international students at Stockholm University

The purpose of a student union is to represent the common interests of students and guarantee that students are able to influence their own education. In fact, student unions also have a major role in the social aspects of university life.

Student unions

FAQ and contact

See our FAQ and contact

On this page