Dual use products can be, e.g. chemicals, equipment and software. Dual use products may also include knowledge of the manufacture and use of these products. Anyone who exports or otherwise transfer products and technology out of the country is obliged to find out if they are classified as dual use products. If classified products are to be sent to countries within the EU, it is called a transfer where no license is required (except for especially sensitive products, see below), however, the recipient must be informed if a product is classified as dual use products.

To classify dual use products

The classification is made by the responsible researcher with the support of the employees at the institutions who have knowledge about export control. The list in Annex 1 to the EU Regulation forms the basis for the classification of dual use products. An export control administrator working at the Property Management Office can assist in the classification and, if necessary, apply for export license from the Swedish Inspectorate for Strategic Products (ISP). A checklist is available to aid researchers in classification:

Dual Use Products (DUI) Classification Checklist (395 Kb)

Especially sensitive products

For some products, you must also have a permit for transfers within the EU. These are listed in Annex IV of the dual use products regulation. Annex IV includes products such as:

  • explosive equipment
  • hydrophones
  • missile technology
  • cryptography
  • certain chemicals
  • nuclear technology.


The “Catch all” legislation prevents exporters from deliberately trying to circumvent the law's intention. The legislation states that if the exporter has knowledge about that the exported product/technology may be used for weapons of mass destruction, it is subject to export control even if the product is not included in the control list.

Education, information and support functions

In order to spread knowledge about the classification of dual use products and export control to institutions that are affected by the regulations, about 15 employees at the university have attended training on export control. An export control officer is employed centrally in the administration to support researchers and institutions. It is the export control officer who will handle SU's applications for export control against ISP.


Sanctions can be directed at countries, companies or individuals. In Sweden, we follow the sanctions decided by the UN, the EU and the OSCE. Typical sanction measures can be an arms embargo, financial sanctions or a ban on equipment that can be used to oppress one's own population.

In some cases, other countries, e.g. USA has its own sanctions that Sweden and SU are not legally bound by. However, you should consult with the export control officers about how to handle US goods prior export since USA might penalize entities with fines, blacklisting and sanctions.


For questions regarding DUI:s, please send a message to: exco@su.se