Study abroad

Studying for one or two semesters abroad provides a wonderful opportunity to become familiar with a new academic environment. Besides that, you also gain new experiences, come into contact with a new culture, and perhaps even meet friends for life.

Bild: P. Horálek/ESO

In addition to gaining new experiences, exchange studies show that you are ready to accept new challenges. You can develop your social skills in preparation for your working life and establish contacts that can be valuable in your future professional life.


There are a number of different ways to study one or two semesters abroad. Most common is to travel as an exchange student, through one of the exchange agreements that Stockholm University has established. As an exchange student, you do not have to pay any tuition fee at the foreign university and the exchange is regulated by an agreement. This means that you receive a study plan before your exchange visit, so that you know which courses are relevant for your studies, and what credit transfers you will receive when you return. You are also covered by a special insurance during your time abroad, which provides extra security.

A study exchange through our agreements within Europe in general require that your exchange studies must last for at least two months. You can be away for up to one year. This applies at each level of study; for instance, you can go on exchange at the undergraduate level (bachelor’s programme) and then again at graduate level (master’s programme).


The Department of Astronomy has agreements with several universities, mainly in Europe. Stockholm University also has central agreements (available to all students at the university) with universities around the world. The agreements are collected in a database, which you can check to get an idea of which countries you can go to. If there is no agreement in astronomy with a university you would like to go to, perhaps another department has an agreement. In that case, we can contact that department and inquire if you can make an exchange through their agreement.

You can find more information and links to the agreements’ database for both central exchange agreements and for the Department here: Go international


In order for us to nominate you as an exchange student, you need to be an active student in astronomy. That means that you must be registered on at least one course with us for the semester before you want to go abroad. We also require that you have completed at least 30 credits before you leave. As a rule, students at undergraduate level go abroad either in the second or third year, while students at the master’s level can go from semester 2. Additional requirements may apply for central agreements.


How to apply for a place on an exchange agreement depends on the type of agreement available. The first step is therefore to contact our exchange coordinator, contacts below.

It’s important to plan ahead! Places at universities outside Europe are usually applied for almost one year in advance, and least six months in advance for the Department’s own agreements.  

Before you apply you should consider which courses you want to study. A good start is therefore to consult the homepage of the university where you wish to make your exchange, and see what courses are available. Compare these courses with the courses you would have studied with us.

More information on applying for Stockholm University’s central agreements is available on the International office’s pages on exchange studies.  

Study abroad




International coordinator

The international coordinator is responsible for the various exchange agreements that the Department of Astronomy has with other higher education institutions. Here you can get information about where you can go on an exchange, and how to apply. You can also get answers to questions concerning crediting of your studies abroad. The international coordinator also handles all administration for incoming exchange students, including admission, course selection and certificates of arrival and departure.

International coordinator
On this page