Latvian Language Proficiency II
7.5 credits cr.
- Gå till denna sida på svenska webben
The course covers the extended basics in Latvian grammar, pronunciation, morphology, syntax, oral and written language skills. The language of instruction is English.
The course consists of 8 modules. You work with one module per week, where you practice Latvian grammar, pronunciation, morphology, syntax, oral and written proficiency. This is a distance learning course and instruction is internet-based, using the university's educational web platform Athena. Examination takes place continually via obligatory, submitted assignments and participation in course meetings via Skype, ZOOM or other internet platform. During the course, there are no physical meetings on campus.
Each week a new module of the course is released. The level of difficulty in each module increases over the run of the course. You may use all the helping aids you need to read the texts, listen to the audio files and solve the assignments. You will receive a total of 8 modules during the course.
You will submit your assignments in your file on Athena. The teacher will read your answers and give you feedback.
You will also need access to Skype or other web platform (e.g. ZOOM), in order to participate in individual conversations with the course instructor.
During the course, there are no physical meetings on campus.
At the end of the course the student will have shown an ability to
- identify and analyze basic grammatical structures in Latvian texts
- translate elementary texts to Latvian with the use of aids
- carry out simple conversations in Latvian in everyday situations
- express oneself in writing in elementary Latvian
Grading criteria (in Swedish)
BA1162 Betygskriterier (299 Kb)
Examination takes place continually via your submitted assignments on ATHENA. Completion of the obligatory assignments are necessary in order to participate in subsequent examinations.
The time limit to submit assignments for each of the eight modules is 2 weeks each.
The language of examination is Latvian and English.
Examinatorer baltiska språk VT2022 (238 Kb)
ScheduleThe schedule will be available no later than one month before the start of the course. We do not recommend print-outs as changes can occur. At the start of the course, your department will advise where you can find your schedule during the course.
Course literatureNote that the course literature can be changed up to two months before the start of the course.
- Dace Praulins and Christopher Moseley: Colloquial Latvian. A Complete Course for Beginners. (Note: 2010 or later) Found as electronic resource at Stockholm University Library.
- Dace Prauliņš: Latvian: an essential grammar. Routledge, London, 2012. Found as electronic resource at Stockholm University Library.
- Dzintra Kalniņa et al: English-Latvian Dictionary/Latvian-English Dictionary. Avots, Riga, 2003. Or any other appropriate dictionary, or online, e.g. www.linguee.com, etc.
- Additional material in the modules (on ATHENA)
For questions concerning the course, please contact Lilita Zalkalns (firstname.lastname@example.org)