Baltic History of Literature and Cultural History I - Lithuania
7.5 credits cr.
- Gå till denna sida på svenska webben
The course consists of an introduction to the history of Lithuanian literature and an introduction to Latvian cultural history, including an overview of general Baltic history of literature, Baltic cultural history and ancient Baltic religion.
The course aims at providing you with certain practical skills for using bibliographical aids concerning Lithuanian literary and cultural history, and the facility to retrieve basic knowledge of Lithuanian and general Baltic literary och cultural history and ancient Baltic religion.
The course consists of a general obligatory part and an elective part, where the student chooses a specific subject within Baltic history of literature and Baltic cultural history or ancient Baltic religion in cooperation with the examiner.
Instruction is in the form of teacher-led classroom lessons, lectures and seminars.
Having completed the course the student has demonstrated an ability to:
- use bibliographical aids concerning the history of Lithuanian literature and Lithuanian cultural history and ancient Baltic religion
- acquire basic knowledge about the history of Lithuanian literature and Lithuanian cultural history and ancient Baltic religion
- acquire basic knowledge of general Baltic history of literature, Baltic cultural history and ancient Baltic religion.
The following methods of examination are used: written examination and oral examination in connection with classroom instruction.
Professor Jenny Larsson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ScheduleThe schedule will be available no later than one month before the start of the course. We do not recommend print-outs as changes can occur. At the start of the course, your department will advise where you can find your schedule during the course.
Course literatureNote that the course literature can be changed up to two months before the start of the course.
- Zauberga, I., A. Veisbergs and A. Chesterman: Bear's Ears: an Anthology of Latvian Literature. Riga, Zinatne, 2014. (Excerpts available on Athena)
- Ziedonis, A., (ed): Baltic Literature and Linguistics, Ohio State Univ, Ohio, 1973 (Excerpts available on Athena)
- O'Connor, Kevin: Culture and Customs of the Baltic States. Greenwood Press, 2006. (Available as e-book at Stockholm University Library)
- Sabaliauskas, Algirdas: We, the Balts. Science and encyclopedia Publishers, 1993.
- Bojtár, Endre: Foreword to the Past. A Cultural History of the Baltic People. CEU Press, 1999. (Available as e-book at Stockholm University Library)
- Velius, Norbertas: The World Outlook of the Ancient Balts. Vilnius, 1989.
- Gimbutas, Marija: The Balts, London, 1963.
- Materials distributed in class
- Latvian fiction in translation, 100 - 500 pages, chosen together by the student and the examiner.
Director of studies Lilita Zalkalns (email@example.com)