Study abroad

Study a semester abroad and learn about another country, another language and a new culture!

At our partner universities you will meet a new academic environment, expand your network of contacts and improve your language skills. You will also gain experience abroad for your future working life, especially if you want to work for an international organisation, here in Sweden or in another country.

Subscribe to the "Utbytes/Exchange" forum in iLearn and get the latest information about exchange studies at DSV.

Here you will find information about exchange studies at DSV.

Application rounds

  • DSV's agreements (Erasmus+ and bilateral agreements) 29 January – 29 February 2024.
  • CIVIS Erasmus+ and Nordlys Erasmus+ 1-31 March 2024.

Information about SU central agreements


1. Plan ahead!

First of all, it is good if you reflect on what you want out of your exchange studies. Also, look at how this fits into your studies at DSV and possibilities for funding.

  • DSV allows exchange studies during the 3rd semester (autumn) for students on campus master's programmes. Note that, it is not possible to participate in exchange studies if you study a distance programme.
  • Phd students are able to go anytime up to graduation.

When you investigate the courses offered at the different partner universities, it is good to have a plan of what you want out of your stay and in which area within computer and systems sciences you want to deepen your knowledge? It is important that the courses have progression and are at an advanced level.

PhD students

As PhD student you can apply for mobility funding for exchange studies, job shadowing or exchange teaching within Erasmus+ via DSV’s agreements or central agreements such as CIVIS.

Be a Buddy to an exchange student and/or an international master student!

Each semester, new exchange students, and every autumn new international master students, arrive. They will all need your support, prior to their arrival, in order to make them feel at home right away at DSV and in Stockholm. You will make new friends while gaining valuable intercultural knowledge as qualification for your resumé.

Being a Buddy to an exchange student includes that you:

  • are the contact person for one or two students during one semester,
  • assist from the first preparatory info session at the end of the semester preceding the arrival in Sweden, 
  • are an ambassador for DSV and Sweden and
  • give practical advice on both study and cultural issues.

As a Buddy, you get the chance to:

  • give yourself an advantage when applying for exchange studies via DSV's agreements,
  • improve your language and intercultural skills and
  • get to know new friends and new cultures.

If you are interested, please email the international coordinator at


2. Where can I go?

There are several different types of agreements with universities around the world, department and central agreements. Read about what applies to the different agreements and where you can go.


  • Agreements within Europe and Turkey.
  • Courses in computer and systems sciences, and possibly some in languages.
  • Provides a scholarship for living and travel costs.
  • Information about Erasmus+

Bilateral agreement

  • Agreements in Australia, China, Taiwan and the UK.
  • Courses in computer and systems sciences.

List of DSV's partner universities - Here you will find links to, and descriptions of, all universities DSV has agreements with.

You will also find all DSV agreements from the list above in the university’s Agreements Database


3. Prior to application

First, you apply for a nomination. Read about how it works.

Step 1: You apply to be nominated.

  • Always use the form "Course selection DSV" as your course selection form. Our form, when assessed by us, will serve as the base for your Learning agreement.
  • If you are applying for exchange studies via Stockholm University’s central agreements and networks, use DSV’s form as well to begin with. Then, transfer your courses to the designated form from the central International Office and Student Services. Contact the International Office at Student Services and require the form.

Note that, for Stockholm University’s central agreements and networks, DSV do not assess your courses when you apply for nomination, only when you have been nominated.  

Step 2: Say yes or no to your nomination. Check your mailbox!

Step 3: After you have accepted your nomination, you have to make a new application to the partner university. Note that you are not finally accepted at this stage. You will get a final decision from the partner university.

Eligibility for agreements with DSV's partner universities

  • Be enrolled in one of the campus Master´s programmes at DSV, Stockholm University.
  • Have at least 22,5 credits in computer and systems sciences from a Master's programme at DSV. The credits have to be registered in Ladok.
  • Exchange period must correspond to full-time studies of 30 credits per semester.
  • Exchange studies must be transferable back to Stockholm University.
  • Meet the partner university entry requirements (e.g. language level, knowledge of the subject and the admission requirements for the course).
  • You need to be able to obtain a student visa for the country in question.
  • In some cases: have a citizenship of an EU country or permanent residence for more than just studies in Sweden.

Selection criteria for DSV's agreements

  • Selection is based on the number of completed course credits (registered in Ladok) on your Master’s programme at DSV.
  • You will get priority if you have been a Buddy.
  • A certificate that presents your language skills in the partner university’s teaching language.
  • Grades in completed courses in computer and systems sciences.
  • You will get priority if you have not done exchange studies before via Stockholm University.

The application must be complete. Incomplete or late application documents will not be considered. The application must also be submitted to registrator no later than two days after the application deadline.

Eligibility to Stockholm University's central agreements and networks

Selection criteria for Stockholm University's central agreements and networks

Expect to take a language test. You will find the language requirements at each partner university’s website.

Include your high school/upper secondary level diploma with your language proficiency (for English in Sweden English B or English step 6). Be prepared well in advance! Language tests (IELTS, TOEFL) are given only a few times a year.

Special information for students of: Master’s Programme in Strategic Information Systems Management, Master's Programme in Computer and Systems Sciences and Master´s Programme in Information Security. 

Note that, you must read the DSV course Research Methodology for Computer and Systems Sciences 7,5 credits during your exchange period to be able to write your thesis when you return.

The idea of student exchange is to be able to transfer your credits from your stay to your degree from DSV. To ensure academic recognition, you need to establish an approved study plan (Learning Agreement) with DSV and the receiving university.

Course selection is the basis for your Learning Agreement.

Preliminary course selection

  • First, make a preliminary course selection and submit with your application.
  • Use the form:  Course selection DSV (158 Kb)
  • Fill in one form per university, a maximum of three universities, and mark in the order you want to rank each university. 

More information about DSV's partner universities here

Search tips:
Find will information at the universities' websites. Check if both the university and its courses will suit you and your program. Look at both the university and the Department’s websites. Good keywords are, for example, "course catalogue", "exchange students", "international office", "international relations". Note that pages entitled "international students" usually are directed towards paying international students and not towards exchange students.

When looking for courses, make sure that these requirements are fulfilled:

  • If you are a master student the course subject must be in computer and systems sciences and also correspond with the courses of the 3rd semester at DSV.
  • If you are a master student the course must be at an advanced academic level (Graduate).
  • Course content can not overlap with courses you have already studied.
  • Course selections should in total be the full-time equivalent of 30 credits (or 22,5 credits if you are studying on a Master's programme containing the compulsory Research Methodology for Computer and Systems Sciences 7,5 credits on the 3rd semester).

Note, DSV does not allow you to write your thesis during the exchange semester.

Translation of credits

30 ECTS correspond to 30 credits in the Swedish system. In cases where the ECTS system does not apply, you have to study the equivalent of 20 weeks of full-time studies to 30 credits. You cannot get more credits than the equivalent of 30 credits per semester. Grades from studies abroad cannot be transferred, only the number of credits.

Application to DSV's agreements

Note that the call for application for exchange studies is not published until the opening of the application round. The list shows which universities you can apply for in the current round and the number of admissions for each university.

  • First, fill in the forms with your preliminary course selections. Find instructions under "Course selection" above.
  • When the application is open, you will find the list of available exchange places, for DSV agreements, in the news forum "Utbytes/Exchange" on iLearn. 
  • Apply online! Find the link for application in the news forum "Utbytes/Exchange" in iLearn. 

Prepare documents to attach:

  • Current transcript of completed courses from your on-going programme at DSV. Download your study certificate from Ladok.
  • Completed forms "Course selection DSV". Find the form under "Course selection" above.
  • High School/Upper Secondary Diploma showing your language proficiency and possibly also language certificates required by the partner university (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS).
  • Medical certificate regarding special support (if necessary).

Application to Stockholm University's central agreements and networks

Note that the call for application for exchange studies is not published until the opening of the application round. The list shows which universities you can apply for in the current round and the number of admissions for each university.

Prepare documents to attach:

  • First, fill in your preliminary course selections in the form "Course selection DSV" (one form for each university you are applying for) and email to the Student Counsellors at DSV 
  • When your course selection is approved, transfer the courses to a form for preliminary course selections provided by International Office at Student Services.
  • You will receive a final evaluation of your course selection if you are nominated. 

Guide to filling out your application to Stockholm University's central contract and networks

Note! It takes approximately three weeks to get the answer. Check your e-mail and reply yes or no.


4. When you are nominated for exchange studies

Make a new application to the university abroad. Read more here on how it works.

You will receive a message from the International coordinator at DSV, International Office at Student Services (central agreements) or from the partner university on how to apply.

Your course selections have to be approved

If some of the courses from your preliminary course selection where not approved, you have to select new courses to replace them. 

  • Use the same form. Make new selections and mark clearly all the new selected courses.
  • Email the form to
  • When all your courses are approved, transfer them to your Learning Agreement. See below under "Learning Agreement".

Your responsibility

  • Fill out the application. Follow the partner university’s instruction. Note! You must have a complete application with all necessary attachments.
  • Send your application as soon as possible. Do not wait until the official deadline.
  • If the partner university requires that DSV International Office sends your application, you need to submit your completed application well ahead of the deadline.
  • If you decide that you don’t want to go, you must promptly notify (via e-mail) DSV International Office and/or contact the International Office at Student Services (the central agreements) and the partner university.

Good to know when you fill in your application

Learning Agreement is an agreement of the courses you will read when you are abroad so that the credits of the completed courses can be transferred to your program when you return.

Learning Agreement must be signed by you, DSV and the partner university before departure!

It is your responsibility to save the Learning Agreement.

Learning Agreement for Erasmus+

Learning Agreement Erasmus+ (117 Kb)

  • Mail completed and signed document to DSV International Office
  • We will sign and return the document to you.
  • Contact your host university and request a signature. Send the document with all signatures back to DSV International Office

Learning Agreement for bilateral and central contracts

Learning Agreement for bilateral and central contracts (105 Kb)

Tip! It is not guaranteed that you are accepted - Prepare for a Plan B with studies at DSV! 

You do not have to pay a tuition fee, but expect costs in addition to living expenses such as flight tickets, vaccines, visas, extra insurance, medical treatment, administrative costs at the university, membership in the student union, the cost of software and printing etc. Keep in mind that some universities may also require a deposit for accommodation.

If you go via Erasmus+, you will receive a scholarship that covers your living expenses. You are also able to apply for scholarships for studies in Japan, Korea and Taiwan (language studies).

Find more information about scholarships under “Where can I go?” above.

Information about scholarships on the central Stockholm University website

Support for students with disabilities

If you have a disability and go via Erasmus+, you are able to apply for scholarships to cover costs for support measures. 
For more information please contact Studentavdelningen at


Information about CSN for exchange studies (in Swedish)


5. When you are accepted to the partner university

Now it's soon time to leave! First you need to arrange a few things related to registration, insurance etc.

If the partner university accepts your application, you will receive a notification of admission (Letter of Acceptance) and a welcome package. The notification of admission might take a while, please check the term dates and the date when you must arrive.

Term dates: Often the university organises orientation/introduction/welcome days or weeks for you prior to the start of the semester. You are entitled to add this period for your Erasmus+ scholarship. Check that your Letter of Acceptance also includes the week/s of the exams which at many universities might be just after the official end of the semester so that you get your semester dates correct regarding, for example, your study loan from CSN.

Email your admission letter as soon as possible to the DSV International Office.
Include the following in the mail:

  • Letter of Acceptance (or similar documents) from the partner university,
  • the precise semester dates, start and end dates,
  • the date of introduction/orientation/welcome day/s (if possible) and
  • your postal address.

We will register you in Ladok as an outgoing exchange student and provide you with a certificate of insurance, "Student UT".

At the end of the semester prior to your exchange study period, we will invite you to a preparatory meeting where you will receive your insurance documents and important practical information for your exchange studies.


If you are traveling within the EU/EEA and Switzerland, bring your European Health Insurance Card - EHIC (EU-kortet). It gives you the right to necessary medical care in the country you are studying in. With the European card, you will pay the same amount for medical care as the country's citizens. You will only pay the patient fee.
Information about the European Health Insurance Card, what is included and how to order a card at the Försäkringskassan website

Student UT

As an exchange student from Stockholm University, you are insured by Kammarkollegiet Student UT insurance, provided that you:

  • have notified accurate semester dates to DSV International Office,
  • are registered as an outgoing exchange student in Ladok and
  • have received your personal insurance certificate and insurance card.

Before you go, please check your private insurance coverage. Student UT insurance is intended to be comprehensive, but because each person's need for insurance varies, you must read the terms and assess it to fit your situation. If you travel within the EU the insurance will only cover accidents, damages or theft, if you have the European Health Insurance Card. 

Please read the terms of Student UT at the Kammarkollegiet website

It is your responsibility to contact the embassy or consulate to apply for a visa. Apply for a visa well in advance!


6. During the exchange

Things can happen during your time abroad. You may need to change a course, get a certificate or help with issues regarding insurance.

Changes in course selection and Learning Agreement when you are abroad

Be prepared that you probably have to change some of your selected courses when you arrive at the university. The reason may be that the course is full, cancelled or that there are scheduling conflicts. 

If you need to change a course, it is important that you make the changes in the course selection form that you used in the preliminary course selection, as soon as possible. Always use the same form.

  • Remove the course you want to change
  • Submit the new course and mark it so that the International coordinator easily can see your suggested changes.
  • Fill in course code, course title and the number of credits/units of the courses you are interested in.
  • Paste the course description (if necessary, translated into English) and link.
  • Email the form to

Do not wait to submit an application for a change of courses!

If you read courses that are not in your Learning Agreement, it may result in the points not being credited in your degree at Stockholm University.

Update Learning Agreement

When it is absolutely set which courses you are going to take, it is time to update your Learning Agreement. Please state the course you will remove and also add the new course.

Exchange student via Erasmus+

  • Update Part B: "Section to be completed during the mobility" in the Learning Agreement for Erasmus+.
  • Note! Do not fill out Part C: "Section to be completed after the mobility".
  • The document has to be signed by the partner university and DSV.
  • E-mail signed Learning Agreement to

Exchange student via bilateral and central agreements

Investigate how and when you will get your Transcript of Records, an official document of your completed courses, where the credit and grading system are explained. At some universities, you have to order the transcript.

A Transcript of Records needs to be:

  • An official transcript with signature and stamp or
  • an official certificate with a code you can give us to verify the certificate at the university's website.

7. After your exchange period

Welcome back to DSV! Hope you had a fun and eventful semester abroad! There are some practical details you need to arrange before everything is done with your exchange period.

You must submit a student report by filling out a questionnaire about your exchange period.

Upload your student report, no later than one month after the exchange period.

Exchange via Erasmus+

If you have got the Erasmus+ scholarship, you need to do a few things to get your final payment.
Here you can find the information on what is required of you

For questions about the Erasmus+ and the scholarship: Contact:

If you are not approved for one or more courses in your Learning Agreement, you must take these credits when you return. You must have a total of 30 credits for the corresponding semester of your programme. It is possible to supplement the missing credits by taking extra courses during your last semester at DSV and/or extend your studies with an extra semester.

You have to apply for credit transfer of your completed courses. Apply online via Ladok for students
Log in with your university account, click "Apply for" and "Crediting".

Your experiences are valuable to us. In February, we call everyone who has been on the exchange during the year for a follow-up meeting. We want to know about your experience, both the positive and the negative.

Help us inform about exchange studies

We would appreciate if you want to attend a briefing for DSV's students interested in exchange studies and talk about your experience. You probably remember that you had many questions and concerns before you went - now you have the chance to give your best tips!



DSV international office - study abroad
On this page