Latvian Language Proficiency I
The aim of the course is to impart elementary Latvian grammar, syntax, pronunciation, and to communicate in Latvian using simple phrases and dialogs. The course is directed to beginners in Latvian, no prior knowledge in the field is required. The language of instruction is English.
At the end of the course the student will have shown an ability to
- acquire elementary knowledge about Latvian morphology and syntax
- account for Latvian pronunciation and spelling principles
- express oneself in elementary Latvian using common greeting and farewell phrases
The course consists of 8 modules. You work with one module per week, where you practice Latvian grammar, pronunciation, morphology, syntax, oral and written proficiency. This is a distance learning course and instruction is internet-based, using the university's educational web platform Athena. Examination takes place continually via obligatory, submitted assignments and participation in course meetings via Skype, ZOOM or other internet platform. During the course, there are no physical meetings on campus.
Each week a new module of the course is released. The level of difficulty in each module increases over the run of the course. You may use all the helping aids you need to read the texts, listen to the audio files and solve the assignments. You will receive a total of 8 modules during the course.
You will submit your assignments in your file on Athena. The teacher will read your answers and give you feedback.
You will also need access to Skype or other web platform (e.g. ZOOM), in order to participate in individual conversations with the course instructor.
During the course, there are no physical meetings on campus.
Examination takes place continually via your submitted assignments on ATHENA. Completion of the obligatory assignments are necessary in order to participate in subsequent examinations.
The time limit to submit assignments for each of the eight modules is 2 weeks each.
The language of examination is Latvian and English.
Course literatureNote that the course literature can be changed up to two months before the start of the course.
- Dace Praulins and Christopher Moseley: Colloquial Latvian. A Complete Course for Beginners. (Note: 2010 or later) Found as electronic resource at Stockholm University Library.
- Dace Prauliņš: Latvian: an essential grammar. Routledge, London, 2012. Found as electronic resource at Stockholm University Library.
- Dzintra Kalniņa et al: English-Latvian Dictionary/Latvian-English Dictionary. Avots, Riga, 2003. Or any other appropriate dictionary, or online, e.g. dictionary.site.lv, www.linguee.com, etc.
- Additional material in the modules (on ATHENA)
For questions concerning the course, please contact Lilita Zalkalns (email@example.com)